Thursday 15 January 2009

final destination 3

This was on over the weekend and since I was a bit knackered on Sunday, as I've mentioned, I gave it a watch.

I was quite surprised actually. I mean, it's not really brilliant, as such, but it was certainly more entertaining than I thought it was going to be.

Unlike the second one which is more of a direct sequel, in a way this was almost a complete re-hash of the first Final Destination. But generally all three have essentially followed the same format.

One of the characters gets a premonition of his and a group of his friend's deaths (usually it's a bizarre set of events that leads up to the disaster). He then panics and as a result they get out of the way when the disaster does indeed happen and loads of people die.

After that, the people who survived start to die, but crucially they do so in the order they did in the original disaster. As such, the one who foresaw the deaths works out that "Death" is out to get them. This is how it explains the bizarre accidents that caused both the original disaster, as well as the subsequent deaths.

Essentially that doesn't really matter - what the Final Destination films are really about are the bizarre deaths, which are often quite brutal and fairly violent and gory. Often they're quite darkly humorous as well and on that front 3 delivers in spades and that's why I enjoyed it.

As a film it's quite poor, but as a "watch the good-looking kids get butchered" way to spend 90-minutes it's quite entertaining.

On thing that did annoy me was that there was a whole thing about a bunch of photos that were predicting the kid's deaths. To me, this seemed un-necessarily complicated and a bit abstract for the film, tbh.

No comments: