Thursday 12 February 2009

growing intolerance

Recently I've found myself becoming more and more annoyed at religion.

I've never understood religion. I've never believed in a God or the supernatural on any level. To me they make wonderful stories, but nothing more. I lend no more credence to the idea of werewolves, ghosts or vampires actually existing than I do to the idea of God existing.

To me all these things reflect is the wonderful power of the human imagination. To me that's the miraculous and amazing thing, not the idea that there's some supreme being.

There are quite a few varieties of religion of course and on some levels I can understand why some people have a belief in "something". For some people I can understand that desire/need/hope. I don't personally think it's valid. I can believe that next week I'm going to win the lottery, that belief doesn't therefore mean it's going to happen, which to me seems the logical flaw in most religion.

Somehow words like "faith" and "belief" have a sort of get-out clause when it comes to the rational world. It sometimes seems that the rational and the scientific, the empirical and the proof are supposed to take a back seat when it comes to matters of religion. To me, this is patently ridiculous and also on some levels dangerous.

All things must be subject to rationality and the burden of proof. That's what it means to be alive. I don't run across motorways because I've been exposed to sufficient proof that by doing so I'm exposing myself to an unnecessary (and high) risk of death. Things in life need proof and rationality.

This is something of a sea-change for me. I used to say that I had no objections to other people believing in whatever they wanted. Nowadays I find myself less tolerant.

I think I'm still okay with people who believe in "something" or that leave the door open, as it were - as I say, I can understand this, even if it is silly - what I don't like is organised religions. Especially the main single-God faiths, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

I'd never go so far as to trot out the old "religions cause wars". I think that lacks a certain understanding of the nature people. People struggle for power. Religion is and was always just a convenient way of manipulating people to do what you want in order to get/secure power for those at the top.

There's a good parallel with patriotism. Patriotism is essentially illogical, but it can be used to get people to join up to the military to fight wars - look especially at World War 1. Now is that the fault of patriotism itself, or the fault of those people in power who abused patriotism to get people to sign up?

However, what I do lay firmly at Religion's door is it's unequivocal nature. There's no compromise in these religions. Whilst those of us who are atheist are expected to allow others to believe what they want and give them the room and facilities to pray to whatever fictional friend they like, the very heart of those same religions is that if you do not believe then you are going to hell.

It is also the job of believers to convert people to their religion. That's what it's all about. Salvation through belief and faith.

So now I think the same way - salvation through atheism, rationality and science.

Note I'm not advocating "belief" in science or "belief" in atheism. It's a common mistake people make, but these things do not require your belief, since they are fact; whereas religion does.

No comments: