Monday 16 February 2009

we are the losers, my friend

Well, it turns out we didn't get that piece of work I was edging around talking about on Friday.

This was actually the same piece of work I mentioned a little while ago. I've never seen such a palaver in all my life, I have to be honest. Really it's made so little sense I'd better just draw a line under it all, otherwise I'll start ranting and then I could wind up in trouble if this blog ever came to light :/.

The weekend was fairly useful. I didn't completely do everything I was aiming for, but then my plans are often quite over ambitious. I'm a bit rubbish at knowing how long some of the things are going to take and also allowing enough leeway.

One thing I did do was some scanning - I got through megami and newtype. Newtype is always the biggest mag each month and so often has the most scans, although this month it's a bit rubbish so that's not as impressive as it sounds.

While I was scanning I watched the end of Blassreiter. It's a pretty good ending. Well, no, that's not quite right - the ending proper was quite good, but then the prologue/coda was trite rubbish. It also didn't make a whole lot of sense, but ignoring that it wasn't a bad end to the show. If only those first few episodes had been better and the budget hadn't just gone on all the CG instead of the normal enaimation I think I'd like the show more.

The other thing I watched was Akikan. It was... odd. At heart it's basically a harem-type romantic comedy, but it was odd because it's also slightly surreal, though not in a good way. First off the idea was that the girl that turns up wasn't the usual alien or robot, but instead it was a drinks can. Yes, as in the can that holds coke or dr. pepper, only in this case it was melon soda. So the guy's meant to be falling in love with a drink's can that somehow turns into a girl... mmkay.

Also, it didn't help that every other element of the show is stepping right into cliche. In fact, no, that's not quite the impression I had. The impression that I got was more like the writer had simply taking all of his favourite things (harem, the "sudden girlfriend" type of show, lesbians, the OTT gay letch that hits on the main character, fighting contests/tournaments, main characters that are toal bell-ends (okay I'm prejudicing that a bit)) stuck them altogther with gaffer tape, seen a niche in the market (drinks cans ... :/) and toe-punted something into that niche.

As you can see I wasn't very keen at all. And I got through all that without even mentioning the piss poor animation!

No comments: