Monday 24 August 2009

kaboom!

My computer exploded.

Well, exploded is a bit of an exaggeration, but the power supply for my gaming rig shorted out. It made quite a bang, I can tell you, and I expleted quite loudly as a result.

At the time I wasn't sure what had gone so after the shock had warn off a little I reset the power for my bedsit and re-tried the power for my PCs and it shorted again with another loud bang. This time there was also a strong whiff of burning stuff.

I therefore decided to take my games rig apart and the smell was definitely coming from the power supply.

I've heard that power supplies actually store quite a lot of charge in capacitors, so I decided not to actually open the supply up. Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to fix it any way so I ordered a new supply.

So that was £50 I wasn't planning on spending :/.

In a way, it was a bit of a godsend, though. If the rig had been working I'm pretty sure I would have blown the entire weekend playing Anno. I would have enjoyed it, I'm sure, but the point is by not being able to play at all it meant I could do a load of stuff, and it turned out there was way more for me to do than I'd thought.

For example, I've prepared loads of updates for trismugistus.com - 8 weeks worth, in fact. This takes me up to the middle of October, I believe, which will be nice.

Also, I had a bunch of e-bay auctions on the go and there was quite a lot of effort with that. I always forget how much effort there is with e-bay stuff.

And then there was a surprisingly large amount of telly to clear. That was an odd one - at the start of last week I'd managed to totally clear my PVR and I was watching shows too, so I was keeping it clear. But then on Saturday/Sunday there were loads of unwatched things.

I think what happened was a conflagration of stuff - a few shows were coming to the end, some with double-episode things, while other shows were starting. And then there's the Thursday effect. For some reason loads of shows I watch are scheduled for Thursday, but by the time Thursday rolls around I'm often fed-up of watching telly or absorbed in the middle of something else and so I leave it to my PVR. I therefore end up with a big list of stuff being added on one night.

Plus it didn't help that this week's rental DVD had two commentary tracks on it, so that took way longer to watch than I had anticipated.

Still, the point is I cleared it all, which I'm sure I wouldn't have if I'd had a working games rig.

Unfortunately, I still didn't do any scanning, though. I did prep last months mags for scanning (taking out the staples and un-glueing them) but never quite worked up the desire to sit and start scanning. This is silly for two reasons - it builds up a barrier because the number of hours needed to scan it all is daunting, but also because I don't watch any of the fansubs I've got.

And there are a lot of unwatched fansubs. I mean, we're reapidly approaching the winter season and things will get bonkers if those shows start without me finishing most of the past two seasons :/.

No comments: