Thursday 14 January 2010

bored of this now

I'm bored of the snow now.

On Wednesday it snowed again - well, it's snow several times, actually, but this was proper snow that covered the ground with an extra inch or so. And the journey to work was horrendous.

Part of the problem was that I hadn't gotten up early. Since this snowy weather started I've been getting up a bit earlier in attempt to beat the heavier traffic periods. But on Wednesday I was so tired I just couldn't do it again, so I got up at my usual time.

My usual time is actually pretty early anyway and I usually get to work at about 8AM or so. This is with setting off at 7:30, so in other words it's about a half hour journey. It should be quicker, truth be told, as it's only about 11 miles, with most of it on the A31, which is a dual carriageway.

Yesterday it took an hour and a half.

The problem really seemed to stem from the fact that the roads appeared not to have been treated at all. It's really difficult to describe, but there was a sort of weird texturing of the roads, caused by the compacting of the snow. It was like driving on a cobbled road, only made of icy clumps, rather than cobbles.

I'm pretty sure that if they'd been out and put salt down it wouldn't have been like that. Especially because the temperature was actually not that old. Which isn't to say it wasn't chilly, just not like it has been.

So the journey to work was an extremely slow crawl - everywhere it could be snarled up, it was. I mean, it took half an hour for me to even get down to the Shepherd and Flock roundabout, which is only about 3 miles or so.

I weird consequence of this is that I've strained my groin muscle. My car's clutch is really heavy, and when you're driving in traffic you're constantly using the clutch. SO this morning driving in my groin was aching like a bastard.

So yeah, I'm falling apart. I'm really tired and my groin aches. Plus my back still aches from the snow shovelling. Also my shoulders ache because of how stressful it all is. Driving in weather like this is just the most tiring thing ever

Plus, my diet's gone to pot. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't on a diet, I just mean that what I'm eating has gone silly. The office is really bad at warming up and my job means I'm really sedentary, so I end up eating more stuff to try to keep warm.

I've also not been risking going out at lunch, and of course evening I don't (and can't) go anywhere, so I'm getting a bit of cabin fever.

Add to that I'm going to have to do a big shop on Saturday to replace all my stocks and buy some more electricity, but they're still forecasting torrential rain and black ice, and you can see why I'm a bit bored of all this.

No comments: