Tuesday 9 March 2010

pray continue, my good man

Continuing from yesterday...

6) I got infected by Malware from icanhascheeseburger.com

I used to go there every so often and look at the lolcats for a little light relief, but on Wednesday Lunch I got some malware from something on the site. Specifically it was one of those bogus anti-virus jobs that claims to find stuff and then gets you to pay for software that does nothing.

I've no real idea what it was that infected me, but it kinda ruined the afternoon of work, as I spent a lot of time getting rid of it.

7) I updated trismugistus.com

I've uploaded a new review for steamboy and already prepped two more weeks. I've also got a further dozen or so where I've done the review and scanned stuff, but I need to actually turn them into reviews I can upload.

It's weird that it's March already - it only seems like yesterday I was last updating the site, but it was November since my last review and Christmas since I uploaded the chrimbo message. I can't believe that Easter is nearly upon us!

8) I bought some new shoes and clothes

My current ones are falling apart and I'd been meaning to for a while, but never got round to it - much like everything on this list! - so I got a new pair.

I find the sizes weird - these new ones are a 10, but others I've got are 11s, and these 10s don't feel uncomfortable. Well, no more uncomfortable than any new shoe while you're breaking it in. The sizes seems to vary so much from shoe to shoe. Or maybe my feet keep changing sizes - who knows?

I also bought some clothes. Being so fat, I have to get special big-size clothes. There wasn't much of a selection at the usual place I go to. I hope they're not going out of business and running down there stock and it was just a case of me catching it "between lines".

Do clothes shops suffer during recessions? I honestly don't know :/.

9) Steam sucks cock

This is steam by valve, not steam the boiled water.

Basically I put a bunch of auctions up last week on e-bay and they came to an end on Sunday, but someone contacted me asking if one of them - Modern Warfare 2 - would be accompanied by access to my steam account.

After some investigation, I found out that when I registered it on steam, as I was required to on install, that basically locked the CD-key I got with the game to my steam account.

If I'd known I would have set up a special account for the purpose, but I didn't, and I'm unwilling to hand over my entire steam account to someone else.

But seriously - what the fuck is that all about? I mean, it really pisses me off the way these piracy controls have been going - I've now got a game I've no interest in ever playing again that I can't sell second hand.

Selling games second hand is almost at the heart of gaming - it's why the astronomical prices they charge for new games doesn't hurt so bad, because you know you'll get a chunk of it back again. If you're now saying that that's dead, then I may well have to stop buying your games altogether.

In a way I don't even blame them - it's the fuckers that are the pirates that have driven it that way. But still, there should be some consideration for us legal purchasers - what about the ability to simply transfer your CD key from one account to another?

Anyway, it also meant I had to piss off some poor bloke on e-bay who won the auction in good faith, sent his payment and then got all these messages from me apologising, saying it couldn't be transferred and then refunding him his money.

10) I did some scanning and watched some anime

This has to be one of the biggest shocks - I not only sat down and finished Maria Holic, but I also started Dragonaut: The Resonance. Indeed, I've gotten 10 episodes into dragonaut (I think if I'd gone for a half series, I might have made an extra push and finished it, but I didn't, so I didn't). Here are some mini review type notes:

Maria Holic was very inconsistent. Some episodes were very funny, but others a lot less so. Indeed, some were more like a proper dramas than something in a comedy. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best drama, so that didn't really help matters.

Also, I have to admit this is one series that could really have done with a dub. Several of the characters talked incredibly fast and with a few translation notes popping up too, it was horribly difficult to follow at times without pausing and rewinding.

Dragonaut I've been kinda enjoying. I read a lot of stuff totally slating the series, but I think it's alright. I mean, I'm not gonna pretend it's the greatest thing ever, but it's not bad either. Well, not so far, anyway - maybe it goes terrible at the end?

I've a sneaking suspicion that a lot of it is fuelled by the rather extreme character designs, which features more than a few boobs-bigger-than-heads characters. But then to be fair, the actual fan-service is relatively minimal. I mean, there's even been a "hot springs" episode, and even that had little fan service in it. Indeed, it wasn't really a hot springs - more like a swimming pool/water flume place, so everyone was in swimming costumes, rather than naked like they'd be at a hot spring.

And here's the real kicker - I did some scanning too!

Half of it was scanning the freebies and fliers I get with my cd-japan orders, of which there were a surprisingly large number, but I also did a complete issue of megami! I know, I was stunned too.

And while I scanned, I watched some fansubs (it's almost like the old days!):


Needless

Bit of a mixed feeling on this. I kinda liked the first episode, but the second was rather badly paced.

Overall, the show seemed to bare a close resemblance in tone to Gurren Lagann - a mish-mash of familiar ideas, but done with lots of gusto and energy. However, in the second episode there were long periods of people talking at each other (and supposedly during a fight :/), which smacked a bit too much of Dragonball Z syndrome and cheap budgets.

So I dunno - I'd probably watch it, but I've a feeling it would annoy me almost as much as I liked it.


Hipira: The Little Vampire

This is a series of shorts. It's actually cg animated, but it's done in such a way as to look more like normal anime than most.

In essence, it's a kids show and while there's nothing wrong with that, it didn't really appeal to me, to be honest.

I think I might have a bit of the old vampire fatigue too - they're absolutely every-bloody-where.


Charger Girl Juden Chan

A while back I was... well, I wouldn't say up in arms, but I was a bit miffed that Crunchyroll's streaming of this series was being edited. You should note that this was before I'd come to the conclusion that Crunchyroll's streaming is a hateful experience, so it was with reluctance at that time that I dl'ed an uncensored fansub version .

Well, to be perfectly frank if I'd known what Juden chan was like I would have not bothered and tried the Crunchyroll version (as I say, before I came to my current stance on Crunchyroll streaming). Now I say this without any sort of assurance that what I found objectionable is the stuff that's been removed, but I'm fairly sure it is.

The stuff in question is pee.

At least I'm pretty sure it's pee - it's yellow, and it runs down the female character's legs so I'm pretty sure it's pee. Trouble is, there's also a suggestion that it appears not only when the character gets knocked out (and hence looses control of their bladder - quite what the appeal of this fetish is I really don't know. It keeps cropping up in Ikkitousen and to me it's just plain gross.) but also when they're getting sexually aroused.

Of course that's sexual arousal in that faintly misogynistic way that still crops up in anime where the merest hint of contact with a woman's nipples, breasts or crotch area instantly has them dripping. Even when the person touching them is a complete stranger or, worse, a rapist or molester.

To be frank, this is the one aspect of mainstream anime that really annoys me. I can understand it in the total-fantasy that is the world of hentai, but in non-hentai anime, it's just plain wrong, because it's just plain wrong in real life.

I dunno - it's a double standard from me, I guess, as mostly I like fan-service, but to me there's a world of difference between getting a flash of panties or boobs and this.

Anyway, the point is, if it wasn't for the girls peeing themselves all over the place, this would be okay, but with it in, it's just nasty.

No comments: