Friday 21 May 2010

wallet ouchies

I've just been on something of a spending spree.

Some of what I've bought it necessary. Other stuff I've kinda convinced myself is necessary but probably isn't.

First thing I bought was a new TV. This is not necessary in so far as I have a perfectly functional telly already. But there are a couple of problems.

First off it's a 15" CRT. This means it's quite small and I'm getting sick of not being able to make out some details very well. It's also not widescreen, and basically now I have freeview everything is output in widescreen, which means that even though it was 15 inch it wasn't really, because of letterboxing.

The second thing is at some point in the relatively near future I want to step into the High Def world. This will likely mean buying a Blu Ray player, but could also involve HD-freeview or a game consoles.

The only real downside is that I've had to buy an LCD. The main reason I've held back was that in my opinion CRT is still a better display technology than LCD or plasma. And while OLED is clearly awesome and the future, it's also really early in its development and incredibly expensive.

My next purchase is a new duvet. This is definitely necessary now that it's starting to look like summer may actually happen this year. I can't sleep without a duvet of some kind and my big thick one I got for Christmas would probably end up killing me.

To go along with this I bought another bed sheet cover thing, which should be useful with the summer months and my increased sweating.

I also bought some new socks. This is another of those probably not necessary as I have socks, but at least a third of them have whacking great holes in and it's starting to make me look like a tramp.

The last purchase was some new writable DVDs and two new portable hard drives. These are another borderline thing. I am rapidly running out of burnable DVDs, but not to the extent that I need them now; however, I thought I might as well since I was blowing my cash and like I say I will need them imminently.

The portable HDDs are a little more tricky to justify. I realised a while back that the portable HDDs that I'd bought solely for the purposes of backing up have actually become regularly used things. Now I try my best to subscribe to the whole multiple independent back-ups thing, but I've kinda realised that I'm just not doing that in practice, hence me buying some new drives.

See, I can convince myself of anything if I try hard enough.

No comments: