Friday 15 October 2010

holiday final post

Last post on the holiday, I promise.

My other goal was doing lots of walking, and this I most definitely achieved. I had set the goal of hitting 10,000 steps for every day and I managed this by both doing short walks early in the morning and also going for some really long walks later in the day.

Generally, these walks were around the environs of a small town called Tiverton. I had thought about walking along the toe path of the Grand Western Canal, which runs through Tiverton, but I wasn't sure how much the car park was and instead I also walked along Woolacombe bay beach.

The weather for this part of the holiday was perfect - lovely blue skies and a warm sun, but not too hot and with some nice breezes. The walk along Woolacombe Bay was particularly enjoyable, although about half way back I realised I had probably bitten of a bit much for a single walk and struggled a bit.

Perhaps if I'd had a proper rest half way it would have been better. Still, I got some photos I quite like.

Anyway, this was the good part.

But it's unfortunately counter-balanced by a bad part.

The bad part was that at the end of the week I slipped somewhat in terms of my diet. I don't actually think I went totally bonkers, but I did eat several junk food meals - burgers and fries, etc. Now to be fair I was doing this and still basically not eating like I used to, but I was pretty sure that I'd managed to cancel out any real good I'd done in terms of walking.

What I think didn't help was that I'd pre-ordered these breakfast packs they do and these turned out to be too big, but also not appropriate to do half-and-half with lunch. As I discovered with my diet, part of the secret for me is to have a big, sandwich based lunch. This basically allows me to have 1 reasonable meal and then a very light, snacky dinner.

But the problem was I couldn't divide the breakfast up in a satisfactory way to achieve this, which meant I had to buy other stuff to make lunch into a proper meal and once that seal of temptation had broken it escalated into proper bad eating. Although if I'm honest I had actually promised myself 1 junk meal at the very end of the holiday if I did do a lot of walking and I think I did the classic "well, let's have it today instead" and then kept having it instead of just having one, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, despite my fears, when I got back I weighed myself and it actually turned out that, across the two weeks I had a net loss of 1 pound. Which is good, but when you consider I ate poorly at my dads and then slipped a bit at the end of the week, it leaves me a little disappointed as to how much I could have lost if I'd not been so weak willed.

Still, now that I'm back there don't appear to be any lingering cravings for junk, and I've been back to the same diet.

No comments: