Wednesday 9 February 2011

any loss is good

The weekend weigh in revealed a one pound loss.

This is not a huge amount and usually I'd probably express surprise at it, especially given that I did plenty of walking and didn't really go off the rails diet wise.

Except that I realised that actually I did. See, because I weigh myself on Sunday morning, the previous week's weigh in would not have fully represented my food splooge. The splooge continued all weekend - in fact, Sunday was probably the worst day.

That therefore meant that I'd started the week very badly and the rest of the week was partly about making up for that bad start. I'm therefore relatively pleased with the one pound loss, although it does mean I'm starting to feel like things are stagnating.

I dunno, I'm rather worried that some switch has been flipped in my brain that says "actually, we've lost loads of weight now, so let's stop". The reality is that I still have a very long way to go. Hopefully, this week, which has been going quite well so far, will set things back on track. I may even finally reach my pre-chrimbo target!

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I think I've discovered a new route to walk. It basically takes me down to the Sainsbury's at the big roundabout down the road and gives me some more options. I think I was beginning to get a bit bored of my old route, especially as it was a bit random in where it took me.

I've actually been thinking about walking to either Aldershot or Farnham and back. I'm actually pretty sure my big walks I do at the weekend are actually of a similar length to walking to Aldershot/Farnham (I live equidistant from both), but I've got a bit of a mental block when it comes to certain walks.

I think it's because I've done them so often by car, I think they're further than they are. One thing I do know is that Aldershot would be a lot more difficult to Farnham. While both would require going up hill, Farnham involves more in the way of gentle slopes that Aldershot, where you've got to go up some quite steep hills.

Which is all fine and good - going up hills is good exercise and just what I need, but I think I've got a nagging worry about going too far in one direction. My fear is that I'll give myself a blister or find I've walked too far and then have the daunting prospect of having to walk back.

My normal routes generally involve going in circles around where I live and all of them have options whereby I can cut my walk short and go fairly quickly home if such a problem arises (and it has). By going in a straight line to Farnham or Aldershot those options disappear. I can obviously turn around early, but it's not quite the same thing.

This is made especially worrying when you consider I don't carry my phone or wallet when I walk - I just take my MP3 player with audio books on, my keys and my pedometer (well, and my clothes, obviously).

But as I say, I think this is far more a mental barrier than real issue.

2 comments:

Amy said...

When I was first deaf and without hearing aids I was so terrified about walking far away from the house. My lung issues meant that if I crapped out I didn't have any options. I carried my phone, but I could only text on it really.

I started out very small and methodically. Because I literally lost all of my fitness I started by walking 2 minutes and 30 seconds in one direction and then coming home. And taking a nap.

I found that formula to be the answer. If I could walk 20 minutes, great, I just walk as far as I can in any given direction and then when I hit ten minutes I make my way home. This opened all of those little paths between houses and behind shops that I previously avoided.

So rather than thinking of your walks as A -> B try taking strange turns and exploring. More interesting to have many options anyway.

Later on this helps too. For example, if I'm not feeling very well, I know several short loops I can take. I can fit a walk to the window of time and my energy levels. Although I haven't done any larger [60+ minutes] walks in over a year. Stupid pneumonia screwed me over.

I've rambled, sorry!

Amy said...

And I also wanted to say that you're doing brilliantly and one pound loss is still a pound lost! Keep on, summer is just around the corner and you'll want to know the local paths so you can enjoy the long, cool evenings.