Friday 4 March 2011

that wasn't what i wanted to talk about

How posts end up being about something else.

Generally speaking I pre-write my blog entries.

I do this for a variety of reasons. Among them are the fact that some days I have a bit more spare time than others; the blog isn't structured such that it follows something on a daily basis - I very rarely mention current affairs, and when I do it tends to be in a more considered, after-the-fact way and it gives me a chance to self-edit and spell check.

What I find interesting, though, is the fact that despite pre-writing them in this way (I have a word document on a USB stick I keep it all on) and therefore, in theory, planning out what I want to talk about, I end up writing blogs that don't actually do this.

This week is a classic example.

Monday's blog was supposed to be about how I ended up with a mild case of jogger's nipple. Jogger's nipple is, as the name suggests, an ailment that affects joggers and is to do with how their shirts rub against their nipples as they run, chaffing their nipples and causing them discomfort.

I got a bit of that on my Sunday walk, but the reason was because of the rain. I got so wet that my shirt really chaffed my nipple and caused me said ailment. And that meant I had to explain about how heavy the rain was. But then I realised I would have to start with how come I was so far away from home that I got that wet in the first place.

By the time I'd written all the pre-amble I'd gone over a page and realised I was into too-long post territory.

What makes this worse is that really I was going to use the jogger's nipple to explain about how last week I seemed to spend the whole week either injured or injuring myself. I whacked my foot, did something to my urethra, bought some new shoes which rubbed my heals quite badly and my legs ached like bastards from Friday until Monday.

This was meant to act as something of a pre-amble to the fact that I only lost 1 pound last week. Hardly surprising as I therefore couldn't do my usual exercise and wasn't as strict with the diet as I can be (I didn't go nuts or anything, but did have a few little treats to celebrate reaching my first target).

As I mentioned yesterday, Tuesday was supposed to be about talking about the new anime season. I think this is the first season I've ever really followed anime shows as they've been broadcast, used crunchyroll properly and watched anime on my computer legally.

But the thing was I felt I should firstly briefly explain about my new scanning process, because I've watched it all while scanning. But that meant I gave myself the opportunity to talk about photostitch, which has become a bit of a pet frustration/rant topic of mine, because I just don't understand how to get it to produce consistently good results (oops - nearly went off again there).

So yeah, it can be funny sometimes how, even though I plan and pre-write I still end up going off-topic.

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is my new favourite post. :D I write in a very rambly and incoherent way [as you know], so it's like you're joining me!

Hope you're nipples are better. :D