Thursday 17 March 2011

weight loss

Some surprises for this weekend's weigh in.

The first was that, despite the extra pancakes on Tuesday and a gnawing fear that the previous weekend's "curry and chips" episodes would catch up with me, I actually lost 3 pounds.

Well, I say I lost three pounds, one of the other surprises was that my scales suddenly started weighing in fractions, so actually it was apparently telling me I'd lost 3.2 pounds.

This actually took me below 20 stone, which I think is what triggered the inclusion of the decimal point.

I'm not explaining this well.

Basically, when I got on the scales on Sunday morning, they gave me a reading of 19 stone, 13.8 pounds.

As I read the display my initial surprise was that I apparently now weighed under 20 stone, which meant I must have lost more than 3 pounds, because I weighed 20 stone 3 pounds the week before.

Then, as my eyes continued to scan across the display (it's a digital thing), I couldn't make head-nor-tales of it, since it seemed to be saying 19 stone 138 pounds. Then I realised there was a decimal point between the 3 and 8 so it was actually saying 13.8 pounds.

This puzzled me, since the scale has never shown decimals like this before - it's always been full stones and pounds. I therefore initially assumed it was an error, so I hoped off, reset it and hoped back on - same reading. Wow.

It then occurred to me that the decimals might have been triggered by the fact I'd gone under 20 stone - perhaps it starts rounding off when you go above that. Certainly this would explain why I'd never seen it before.

It then also occurred to me that if that was the case, I didn't actually know how much I'd lose, since I could have weighed anything from 20 stone 2.5 pounds to 20 stone 3.4 pounds and it would have still shown 20 stone 3 pounds.

In other words, despite apparently going below 20 stone, I'm going to be on shaky ground if I now start operating in decimal places, so rounding it takes me back up to 20 stone.

Still, it's nice to finally hit the 20 stone mark, and I'm now only about a stone off of my Birthday/Easter target, which is good.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hooray for 20st!!

Just curious, have you been photographing your progress? Not necessarily for display, but for you own record?

I have a handful of photos from 2002 to 2006ish, just wondering how different you look. Of course I'll see next month anyway!