Thursday 30 June 2011

and then back up

I don't really know why I said last week that I was going to try to stick to my diet.

It was a pretty daft thing to say given I had planned to take the Thursday and Friday off and had lots of physical stuff planned. Basically, the diet went to rats and I ate loads.

Now I did do a lot of physical stuff - my pedometer said I did about 12,500 steps on Thursday and I forgot to put it on until about 10:30 and didn't go for a single 'proper' walk. But what I ate was way more than the extra calories needed for this.

In fact, it was like a reckless splurge of eating crap.

It actually reminded me of the type of eating I do when I'm hung over - I concentrate on filling myself up with the worst possible junk food, presumably because it makes me feel better (I've always been a comfort eater).

I wasn't hung over, of course, but I was shattered across Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which was when most of the really bad eating happened.

However, the Sunday weigh in was a bit of a surprise. Well, I say that. I'd basically gained two pounds, undoing all of the work of the previous two weeks, but given what I ate, I think I've gotten off lightly.

This does also make it very difficult for me to hit my target of 19 stone by the British Grand Prix. I'm going to increase the amount of walking I do across the next week and a bit, so that may help get me there, although I'm doing it mainly as I expect the GP weekend to involve a hell of a lot of walking and I want to be a bit more 'in shape' as it were.

Some time soon I'll pull my finger out and really crack on with the last push I need to do to get down to being overweight, rather than obese. Really this is my minimum target. It would be nice to get to a 'normal' weight, but I don't regard this as essential, I mainly just want not be obese. I want the walks I do to be easier and not to feel like I'm constantly carrying around a small child on my midriff.

What I need is another moment like I had when I started the whole thing back last autumn where I say to myself "Stop pissing around and just fucking do it then." I mean, I'm still managing to keep my weight broadly drifting down, but I keep failing to really capitalise on my efforts and slipping with the diet.

No comments: