Monday 20 June 2011

a weighty issue

I did my very best to stick to the diet last week.

Well, I mean I tried really hard. I failed, but I really did try.

Walking wise, both Sunday afternoon and Thursday were foiled by the weather. Who knew we were going to end up getting our April showers in June? Especially with April having been so dry and having that warm spell. I seem to recall this has happened for the last few years as well. Perhaps it's the first big signs of global warming?

This last weekend I did quite well. Saturday was a scheduled flat cleaning day and I've been trying to do the cleaning in a way that race's the old heart rate. I mean, I wouldn't say I rush it, but I try to do it in a continuous burst of activity and keep moving.

Also I did all my normal walking, despite the weather constantly threatening to rain on me. I did catch a few spots on both my long walks, but it didn't actually rain on me. This was quite fortunate as it did piss it down a couple of times at the weekend.

I guess it must be getting in some practice for Wimbledon, which starts next week, I believe.

Diet wise I ended up with a double whammy. On Wednesday's excursion to Sainsbury's were I tell myself I will absolutely only buy some strawberries and some rolls for lunch on Thursday and Friday I ended up buying some calorie heavy treats. However, I wasn't too disappointed by this as I managed to avoid my previous trip of buying way too much fruit (they have lots of special offers on strawbs and raspberries) and hence I didn't overeat and get gut ache again.

Also, the treats I bought were a box of those small cornflakes and chocolate things, which were ideal for spreading out across multiple days. So I had a handful on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, which I don't think is too bad. I mean, obviously it's not ideal, but it's much better than I've been doing over previous weeks.

The second whammy was that it turned out to be someone at work's birthday, so we went down the pub for Friday lunch. This took me somewhat by surprise and obviously meant I consumed a lot of calories on Friday, though I did try to compensate for this at the weekend a bit.

Anyway, the net result was I lost 1 pound. I was more pleased with this than I was last week for some reason, despite it being the same amount. I think it might be because I'm now really close to going below 19 stone. This will be quite some achievement as I think it will mean I'll be lighter than I have been in the last 15 years.

My dream target was to reach 18 and a half stone by the British Grand Prix, as that would have meant I'd lost 6 stone, which would mean I'd be about half way there. Now that its' closer and with my recent 1 pound a week thing, I'm pretty much going for 19 stone instead.

Over the next couple of week I'm going to see if I can't go back to eating what I did before Christmas when I was loosing lots of weight. I think this restoration of the old diet combined with the increased exercise I do nowadays might mean I'll achieve the 19 stone by then, which would be really pleasing.

No comments: