Thursday 17 November 2011

liverpool

So what was this mention about Liverpool all about then?

Well, it was a trip for work and it was very interesting.  Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you any details about the reason for the trip and what we did, but what I did want to talk about was the journey.

It was, to be frank, rather horrible.

I basically set off at 8AM and got back at about 9PM.

I went by train and went via London.  This was good in that the journey was simple (single train journey, up the northern line, single train journey) but it did make it slightly longer.  In particular I ended up having to wait at the station on the way up and the way back, adding a good hour to the total journey time.

Getting back at 9PM wasn’t great -  it was a horribly long day and I obviously didn’t get to bed until something like 11PM.  And of course, being Thursday, I went to work on Friday.  I tried to sleep in, but failed, to be honest.

I did, however, go home from work early, but then I was achieving very little at work because I was so tired.

You may be detecting a bit of a negative tone to this post, and that’s really directed at the journey and the day and its aftermath, rather than reason for the trip.  That was very interest, but as I say, it’s not really appropriate for me to talk about.

But also, the negative tone is there because, well, I did really badly with my diet last week, and while it would be wrong to blame the trip, it was a big part of the cause.

I ended up gaining two pounds, which was very disappointing, especially as that was the amount I lost on my holiday.  I was actually a little surprised it wasn’t more, which kinda shows me just how much exercise I had and energy I burnt off with the trip.  The problem was I massively overcompensated.

In particular I ate loads of junk (5 big chocolate bars, for example).  This was because I was just so tired by the time I was heading home, which was when the slide really took hold.  IF I’d managed to maintain some willpower I’d have lost eight, but once I reached that low point I just ate crap in the afternoon and evening and then on Friday I ate crap too.

This was partly because of an effect I’ve noticed before where as soon as my diet slips, I’ll jut keep on “being naughty” until the end of the week.  But also, because, as noted I was shattered on Friday, I just felt like eating lots of comfort food (Another big area of problem of me).

No comments: