Thursday 15 December 2011

noises of the night

I mentioned before that when I got back I'd had a radiator installed and that necessitated a move of my bed across to the other side of the room.  Now that actually sounds a lot more spectacular than it was - it was actually a move of about 1.5 metres.

However, it did mean I was now closer to a different window compared to where I was before and so it took me a while to get used to sleeping in this position.  They reckon it can take up to three days to get used to sleeping in a different bed, but I don't know if the same applies to moving your bed.

Anyway, point is that I felt a bit disjointed for a while and I'm still not operating at 100% smoothness after the change.

And that's when the noise started.

Initially I thought it was a reflection of the aforementioned change - I was now closer to a different window, so there was perhaps a change in noises.  In particular the noise was a bit like the dull roar you get from traffic noise even through double glazing.

However, it was too constant in tone and volume to be traffic noise.

I then tried simply opening my window - it sounded a bit like the noise my air conditioner makes so I thought maybe someone had a heater going outside.  No, I don't understand my thinking either - I think I was perhaps wondering if it was maybe a set of temporary traffic lights that were run from a  generator, something like that maybe?

But when I opened my windows there was a really weird effect where it was almost drowned out by the general background noise.  In other words, it was louder inside with the windows closed than outside.

I therefore then investigated the actual radiator itself - was it perhaps making a noise?

Not as far as I could tell.

So I left it - the noise was there, but it wasn't too loud and I often wear ear plugs to bed anyway, so I could resurrect that practice.

And then I discovered the cause when I went for my walk, and it's a weird one.

Basically, the Farnham Rugby club has a built a new ground and associated with it is a big building.  One of these fitness places is on the same site, so I assume the big building is mainly a gym, but with a few bars and stuff for the rugby club.

Well, as I was walking along with my ear buds in early Sunday morning I could here the same noise I hear at night.  I took my ear buds out and there it was - horrendously loud and coming from the direction of this big building.  However, it was really foggy, so I couldn't really see where it was, so I wandered down to investigate.

There's a dirt path that goes behind the facility along the edge of the fence and I walked along there until I got right behind it and discovered this horrendously loud fan-like noise.  Given the correlation with my air conditioner, my guess is that's what it is, though why they need to run a huge air conditioner all night in the middle of November I haven't a clue.

What I think is actually happening is that the noise is being carried up to where I live (which is about half a mile away) and, because of the particular frequency of the noise, it is getting through my double glazing and then bouncing off the side of the inset part for the window and being reflected back to where I sleep.

In other words it's rather a conflagration of circumstances.

Hopefully they've just been running it over night for a particular reason, though what that could be and why so many nights I don't know.

I also noted on my wander round they'd put some trees in, but they were tiny little starter trees and will likely take years to mature to the state of providing any kind of sound baffling.

No comments: