Friday 24 August 2012

zip it

So I had a bit of an embarrassing situation on Tuesday at work.

Basically to skip to the punch line the zip on my trousers broke.  Now we're not talking about an explosion under duress or anything like that - this was that type of breaking where the teeth are undone even though you've zipped the zip.

I'm sure you know the sort of thing - a zip works by the teeth intermeshing, which you achieve by pulling the zipper up or down depending on if you want to close or open them.  Well what sometimes happens is that the teeth become un-meshed when the zipper is in the closed position.  Basically they become un-aligned and the zip no longer knits them together when it closes.

The way to fix this is to basically slide one set of teeth out of the zipper and re-align everything so that the zipper meshes them together.  However, this is only really possible on those zips that are designed to come completely apart (so the zips you have on the front of coats, rather than on the pockets of a coat.

Of course the zipper on my trousers (otherwise known as the "fly") is of the pocket closing type, so I was left with the embarrassing situation of not being able to close my trouser's fly area.  I ended up using a bull-dog clip on the inside to close them up.

Now actually this is the pair of trousers that's really slack and it's my intention once I get my new boosted pay packet to start to buy some new clothes.  Plus of course I have another pair of work trousers, so it's not a big deal really.

I'd actually gotten rather ahead of myself on that front, expecting my wage to come in during this week for some reason, but of course it will be next week as the end of the month is on Friday.

It's a Bank Holiday Monday next week, so I'll only be blogging Tuesday to Friday.  However, I will actually probably be working early Saturday morning, as there's some bits I need to do.  It's not that I'm super-mega busy; it's just that I can't see how the timing is going to work out any other way.

No comments: