Friday 22 February 2013

less burn

So I've been using the DE razor to shave all this week.

I'm still going with the grain so the shave is not close, but I think I'm starting to get used to it.  I've not really had any particular problems with nicking myself.

I've also noticed that I am having less razor burn, although if I do get razor burn it's a lot fiercer than when I get it with the Mach 3.  The problem area for burn is my chin.  I'm not massively surprised with this as the chin is obviously the area where there's more in the way of extreme contours and bumps and wiggles.

However, saying that, obviously I'm not get a smooth shave either so razor burn is less likely anyway.  What I mean is that I'm using the same shaving pattern and getting less burn so that suggests I'm getting used to the razor.

I've also found the blades I'm currently using last the same amount of time as my Mach3s, so I get about 3 shaves out of them and then they're noticeably duller.  Those were the blades that came free with the razor and there weren't too many of them.  I've actually bought some more and they're a different make.

Apparently different makes of blades are quite different to shave with.  Once you have your technique down you're actually supposed to try out a bunch of blades to find one that works best for your razor/skin/beard.

I have to confess I'm not fully sold on the DE - the poorness of the shave is such that the fact it's gives slightly less razor burn hasn't really sold me.  When I get to going against the grain is when it will be a true test, though, so we'll have to see.

In other news I'm shattered from the amount of work I've had to do recently and I'm going to be in this weekend.

There's been some developments on that front and I'll hopefully find a bit of time to write some blog posts when I'm not working this weekend, but otherwise it could be a bit quite on the blogging front next week.

No comments: