Wednesday 6 February 2013

welcome to the space show

Rather shamefully, given that it's supposed to be my hobby, this is about the only anime I've watched in the last 3 months or so.

That's not really relevant to the review, just an embarrassing admission.

I wasn't entirely sure what space show was going to be about and I have to say if I'm totally honest it was a bit more... predictable than I'd anticipated.  I wanted to use the word cliché there, but I'm not sure that's quite right - it's more like it's generally familiar as the plot isn't hugely original.

The characters were more promising - there was a degree of usage of archetypes, but actually they weren't as bad as all that.  I mean, the tropes were there (nerdy kid, responsible but struggling with that responsibility older kid, "genki" older sister who's upset younger sister that adores her) but it was more subtle than all that.

The interesting characters compensated for the somewhat predictable story.  I'd also say, in fairness, that it's aimed at a younger audience than me.  It's broadly a family film, but really with a slant generally more towards children than adults.  I'm undecided if that excuses it using a very familiar story or not.

Also I have to say the bad guys weren't as convincing or interesting - they could have done with a bit more delving into their backgrounds, where instead it tended to rely on those familiar plotlines to short-cut the baddies.

Another thing in its favour is in the visuals and the awesome imagination on display.  When the story gets into space they really let rip with all sorts of odd aliens and the locations and backgrounds clearly show them having a riot of imagination.  As noted, it's also beautifully animated and looked awesome in Blu Ray.

I'd say overall then that it would probably work best for a younger audience, but it's certainly visually arresting enough and there's plenty of fun with the characters for older viewers not to be disappointed.

I guess Studio Ghibli's work is about the best comparator, but I thought it was quite distinct from those.  In other words, it would appeal to a similar audience, but if I'm honest it's not up to the same standard in terms of quality of storytelling.

No comments: