Wednesday 13 March 2013

future employment

This is going to be a particularly difficult post.

My problem is that what I want to talk about is technically confidential information.  I mean, I've not signed anything but the information was relayed in confidence.

Basically last Friday they outlined the future of the company.  Well... ish.  It wasn't really done that specifically.  I mean, I've been told some stuff and that didn't feature in the thing in Friday directly, but the meeting focused on that area.

See - it's difficult to say without saying.

I guess the thing I wanted to post about was that it wasn't quite as I expected.  In some ways that's good, but in other ways it's bad.

A particular bad point was the length of time.  Apparently this thing they've set up could take 10 years to come to fruition.  I found this a particular punch in the gut - there's no way I want to be hanging around here for 10 years.  To be honest I don't really feel like I want to be here next year.

However, a good thing is that it won't cost me anything.  In effect it's a free gift and there's a degree to which the expression "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" has to apply.  Better to have the gift horse, even if it's a bit dodgy, than no horse at all.  Of course, the problem is that said horse may be a poison chalice - looks like a good thing, but actually isn't.

I had a chat with my dad about it over the weekend.  He was more positive about it than me.  His main point was that it's something for nothing and I felt a bit more positive about it looking at it from this point of view.  The problem of course is that he doesn't really know how stupid some of the stuff here is and when I explain some bits of it he's always a bit stunned, because a lot of it is really dumb.

Anyway, we'll actually be getting individual info packs across this week where some of the more specific details are provided, but if I'm honest I'm not expecting this to really answer all of the questions I have.

I'm sure it will answer some but I don't think it will address the key ones - the ones that I need answers to in order to consider staying here.  They have said we can ask questions and I will but I don't I think the key ones will be ones they'll be willing to answer.

No comments: