Friday 17 May 2013

simcity 3.0

The saga of SimCity continues.

They’ve now issued patch 3.0.  I was hoping that 2.0 represented a significant fix, but it was still pretty messed up after that.  And 3.0 now seems to have actually broken the game - it freezes my entire system.

I really don’t understand what’s going on with the patches, tbh, because the stuff they patch generally hasn’t been an issue for me until they patch it.

I’ll give you a very good example - disasters.  Before patch 2.0 I don’t think I’d seen a disaster, yet everyone else was complaining about disasters happening every two minutes.  So they patched it and suddenly I’m getting disaster after disaster.

It’s like I somehow got the final version of the game and every time they patch it I step back a version.

It’s incredibly frustrating, because if the game would just work better I think I’d probably enjoy it, but then they patched it again and when I played it, it froze my entire machine 4 times in a row and I've started to wonder why I bought the game in the first place.

It’s particularly frustrating because it’s not freezing for the same reason - I was doing completely different things and the game was at a different stage (several hours in and only about 15 minutes in).  It’s also annoying that it’s freezing the entire machine so I have to use the reset button, I can’t just hit ctrl+alt+del and kill it via the task manager.

What’ weird with it is that when I then reload I’ve only lost a minute or two of play.  I’m actually wondering if it’s the game saves that are killing it, but because of how it does it I have no idea if it’s saving related or not.

I actually remember there was big problem with Anno1404, which had a horrible that would cause saves to corrupt so you'd play for hours and lose all of it because the saves had no information in them.  It also had a memory inflation issue that meant you couldn't really play giant maps.  Those took them months to resolve so I’m starting to wonder whether I shouldn’t just put the game on hold and pick it up again in 6 months when hopefully it will be properly patched.

I understand yet another patch has been issued recently, so perhaps that will solve it?

No comments: