Tuesday 27 May 2008

Whoops

I cocked up last week it seems and instead of putting my credit card number for something I gave my debit card number. This meant the payment came directly out of my actual account, which, of course, didn't have quite enough cash in :(.

And the upshot of this? I went a smidge overdrawn and so got a nasty letter telling me they were going to charge me for the privilege.

Fundamentally, I don't mind actually mind this - I fucked up, so I guess I should pay the price. What I do mind is the difficulty and problems I had trying to fix this error. I apparently went overdrawn on Thursday, but then they didn't send me a letter 'till Friday. Obviously, it takes a day in the post and so I got the letter on Saturday morning.

However, the bank isn't bloody open on Saturday (I ask you - in this day and age, they're closed on a Saturday?). It's also a Bank Holiday week-end, meaning the bank was actually closed until Tuesday.

But they charge for every day it's overdrawn, meaning Thursday right through to Tuesday. SO HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT?

Okay - I try Internet Banking. I've got a credit card with the same bank - surely I can get money from one to the other?

No.

I've got another bank account with a different bank (who, incidentally, are open on a Saturday), but although I can transfer money via the internet I know it takes a ridiculous amount of time (something like 7 days!) for the money to move over, by which time the bank's open again anyway.

Note that this is the internet. Where things happen instantly... unless you're a damn bank, apparently.

So I phone them up - the solution? Arrange an overdraft facility online and that will stop the daily charges.

The customer is always right. Unless you're a bank, in which case the customer is there for the shafting.

No comments: