Thursday 22 May 2008

Dude, you suck at this

I first realised I was rubbish at games way back when I was a kid.

We used to have an Amstrad cpc 6128 computer. Back then, a huge amount of memory was defined in the kb range, not the gb range. This tended to mean that the games we used to play were different to what they are nowadays. The sheer graphical demand of FPS's, for example, meant nobody had even dreamt of doing them - not even in the arcades.

Anyway, a game we used to play a lot of back then was this winter Olympics sports kinda thing, and the sub-game me and my sister were obsessed with was the Bob-sleigh. That's the one were 4 blokes jump into the sleigh at the beginning and then in careens down a narrow open-tunnel sort of thing at around 100mph.

You the player basically used to have to do the steering down the course, trying to go that little bit faster each time. My realisation came that I was rubbish at gaming when I could not for the life of me beat the pre-set fastest time on the score board. I think I got up to third position as my best ever time.

Since then, every single game I've ever played has been played on the easiest setting, and I'm pleased as punch if I beat it. Normally I can't, so I end up cheating (if available). Though tbh, I do that mainly so I get maximum benefit out of the game, which has probably cost quite a bit of money - not at least seeing all of the levels seems a bit of a rip-off to me.

No comments: