Tuesday 4 November 2008

dental scrapings

So I had Monday off. Part of the reason was because I had the dentist in the morning. And yeah, I know that having the entire day off because of a dental appointment in the morning seems a bit excessive, but then I hate going to the dentist when I have work, and yesterday part of the reason why was heavily underlined for me.

He scraped my teeth. You've probably had that done - they're removing the plaque that builds up on your teeth and is a veritable des-res for bacteria. So I can see why they do it, but it doesn't stop it being unpleasant.

The problem is the plaque builds up at the bottom of your teeth next to your gums and also in the gaps between your teeth, so when they're scraping they often hit your gums a lot, especially in the gaps. I came away yesterday with lots of red bits between my teeth where the gums had been totally brutalized.

And while I wouldn't say it was anything on the level of having a filling done or that sort of pain, it's pretty damned uncomfortable. My teeth ached all day, and they're still not fully okay today.

It's made slightly worse for me as I have sensitive teeth. I use sensodyne toothpaste and it really helps - without it I can't eat ice cream, but with I'm fine. But the thing I've noticed about it is it's sort of cumulative. If you stop using it, after a while your teeth become sensitive again, and then it can also take a while to have an effect once you start again. It's like it builds up on your teeth.

So of course, when he's scraping away the plaque, he's also taking that build-up away with him. Not that I've had any ice cream, but cold water, for example, is now unpleasant.

Which, as I say, is one of the reasons I like to take the day - sitting in work with aching and bloody teeth isn't my idea of fun :/.

No comments: