Friday 21 November 2008

omg, look at all the blood!

Woke up very early this morning. I'm kinda convinced that something is waking me up, actually - my hypothesis is that it's some kind of animal (fox or a stray cat, maybe?) using my landlord's catflap. It's just that it's odd that it seems to happen at about the same time in the morning and it's now happening all the time since it's come colder in the mornings.

Plus, when I stayed at my Dad's a while back I was sleeping right through until 7-ish. The regularity and pattern just seems odd. I think I may do something to see if I can get evidence in some way.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the getting up early, but I've got a blown blood vessel in my eye. It's very unsightly, but doesn't really hurt or anything - it just looks ugly. Maybe it was the BT thing yesterday? I literally blew a blood vessel! :)

So I've been finishing off the latest magazine scans this week and I so I got the chance to watch the following:

  • Ultraviolet: Code 044 was okay. It felt very old fashioned. Plot wise, I'm not sure if it would come under 'retro' or not - retro implies something deliberate - but certainly the artwork and animation were retro, and, if I'm honest, not really my cup of tea. It was also surprisingly talky and slow in the first episode for an action series.
  • Detroit Metal City is very good. I didn't quite go for excellent, as I have to admit the character design and animation is not quite to my liking, but the show itself is very good. It's probably the funniest thing I've seen in ages, with a very entertaining set-up. It also strikes a great balance between its elements - it kinda pokes fun at everything, which is a neat trick to pull off.
  • Shikabane Hime: Aka seemed very good. It's the new show from Gainax and is (rarely, for them) an adaptation of a manga. I've no exposure to the manga, but the anime seems very Gainex-y so I'm not sure how much they've tweaked. Anyway, the show does seem very well done, although I have to admit it doesn't seem hugely original - there's a lot you've seen before, but it's entertaining enough.

I think that just leaves The Telepathy Girl Ran as the only thing I've not watched from the April '08 season, and that's because I downloaded a German version of ep 1 (:/) so I watched Shikabane Hime instead.

Oh no - actually I've got Strike Witches and Blassrieter to watch too, but those are slightly different. I've already paid to watch the entire seasons for both on Bost so I don't really think of them in quite the same vein.

It's about time - all the October season shows are startign to pass my threshold for watching them. What I tend to do is wait until I've got about 6 episodes downloaded. That allows me to watch 3 or 4 episodes (or go up to 6 if I'm really undecided) in a row. I usually watch them

No comments: