Tuesday 31 March 2009

fallen out of love

I forgot to crack my gag I'd thought up for yesterday's mini anime reviews!

Basically it went: "White Album? Shite Album more like."

See, it's sort of punny and sort of references Spinal Tap.

Not that the anime was that bad, but still, can't forget the gags.

Anyway, as the title suggests I've fallen out of love. Specifically, I've fallen out of love with Death Note.

It seems it was an intense, but ultimately fleeting affair. The passion burned brightly, and quickly burned itself out.

Er, yeah.

Basically, Death Note appears to be divided into two arcs. The first arc is focused on the battle between two characters - Light Yagami and "L" - and takes the form of a game of cat and mouse, but one in which you're not sure who's really the cat and who's the mouse.

It's all about the two of them trying to outthink each other, and they're both super-genius. Oh, there's other stuff along the way, but that's the core.

Unfortunately, the second half tries to repeat the same sort of trick, but fails spectacularly. It's trying to make the story bigger - more about world events than just focusing on two characters.

You may remember I mentioned all the silly inaccuracies it was committing when I gave a mini-review last week? Well now, because the focus has changed to the world stage those errors have almost taken over the story.

If the first arc is all about a clever psychological battle with other stuff, the second arc is all about the other stuff with some half-arsed attempts to reignite the clever psychological battle.

And that also now means I'm struggling reading it. Both arcs are exposition heavy, but before I cared and was excited to read it, now all that dialogue feels like a millstone around my neck, dragging my enjoyment with it.

Ah well, it was enjoyable while it lasted.

No comments: