Friday 26 June 2009

at the carwash... yeah

My only real plan for this weekend is to thoroughly clean my car - hopefully even to the extent of polishing it!

This is mainly because my landlord has gone on holiday... again. He did this two years ago as well - I think he had 4 separate holidays over the summer period, but then last year I don't think he had one. Not that I'm complaining - more power to him, he should be enjoying his retirement.

Trouble is, it currently looks like the weather is having other ideas - the forecasts are for more rain :/.

I've done a bit more scanning and watched the following:

Cross Game was surprisingly good. On the face of it, it seemed like a baseball sports-drama, and while it is definitely that, it's also quite a bit more too.

If I'm honest, I felt he first episode dragged a bit. I suppose it seemed that everything was a bit too nice and perfect for the man character, Ko. The characters were also quite young and it felt a lot like the show was aimed at that same demographic.

However, towards the end of the first ep there was quite a harsh tragedy (I fair got a lump in me throat) and it kinda hooked me in with that. The next episode skipped ahead 4 years so the characters were now into their teen years at middle school and with it the complexity also seemed to jump.

In other words, there seemed to be some quite complicated interpersonal relationships developing, as well as the whole baseball thing. So yeah, enjoyed it more than I thought I would and would probably watch it if it ever became available, though maybe not buy it.

It's a similar sort of story with Hatsukoi Limited. Well I don't mean story-story - Hatsukoi Limited has nothing to do with baseball - what I mean is that I found it surprisingly good.

It's a little difficult to explain what Hatsukoi is about, mainly because it's not that complicated. I know that sounds weird, but basically it's because it blends together a lot of genres. It's a romantic comedy at heart, but the easiest way I can describe it is to say that it's a lot like Azumanga Diaoh, but with all the girls being total stunners depicted in a more realistic style.

Which is where it gets complicated because I want to start adding in things like it's rather reminiscent of School Rumble too, but I'll stop there. The real thing of note is that I enjoyed it quite a lot and found it to be really quite amusing.

But I guess I should also comment on the big news of the day - Farrah Fawcett died! No wait, I mean Michael Jackson died.

It's all very sudden and shocking. Jackson was kinda ubiquitous when I was growing up - Thriller and Bad were released at the time I was a young kid, and they were all pervasive.

He had some good songs as well, I'll give him that, although clearly he wasn't what anyone would describe as "normal". But then how could he have been? He was a child star and went on to have the biggest selling album ever in thriller - anyone would end up a bit abnormal from all that.

No comments: