Monday 15 June 2009

lazy days

Odd sort of weekend. I struggled a bit to motivate myself to do anything - this is easily evidenced by the fact that I'd watched all of the week's TV I'd recorded by Saturday afternoon. Indeed, I actually watched a couple of films I'd recorded.

However, on the tail end of Sunday I did manage to get a bit of scanning done. It was nothing excessive - just last month's megami, but it's a start. Oh and I forgot to mention - I'm a bit worried about the other mags (Newtype, animedia and animage) for this month.

They were apparently posted on the 9th and it's now the 15th. Whilst that isn't a long time you may remember I normally get the mags so fast I'm amazed at the speed, but it's getting on for a week now. But most worrying of all I got a phonecall from an unregistered number on Friday. Unfortunately, I was actually on another call for work (some idiot blathering on for ages) so I couldn't take it.

This is not a good sign because it's happened before - I've had a call from the courier basically saying "they've poxed up the address - can I confirm the actual address?". If I've missed a similar call this month I won't be best pleased.

Anyway, did some scanning, so I watched some anime too:

K-ON! was so moe it was almost painful. Unlike many I've never really had any beef with moe so I'm not actually complaining there, it's just so blatant that that's what it's all about it was kinda like a punch to the gut of cuteness.

Not that the show is bad or anything - I found myself laughing at the funny bits and going "dawww" at the "dawww" bits - although the band angle is a bit of a mixed bag. I mean it's interesting, but it comes across as massively unrealistic - the girls with no experience seem to pick up their instruments and basically be as good as the one with years of experience.

I have to admit I found Basquash! a bit disappointing. The idea of giant basket-ball playing mecha seems great, but I dunno, overall the show seemed missing something.

Maybe it's because I was expecting certain things and then those things weren't there, but instead the things that were there were rather cliche. That's best explained with some examples. I though the mecha were going to transform - the main one is shown as having a cab that looks like a car. Now I guess that's actually because it's an improvised machine, but still transforming mecha would have been cooler.

Also, there a girl love interest and in a flashback that made me cringe the boy realises (wait for it) they knew each other as kids and promised to get married. Now there's something that you don't see every day - oh no, wait, yes you do.

I dunno, the pace also didn't help. I watched three eps and it only just felt like it was getting going.

I think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, tough - perhaps it's one that grows on you. Plus the action scenes were great and the artistry is fantastic.

No comments: