Friday 12 June 2009

bb10 thoughts

Well this is a bit odd - http://www.isthisyour.name/mark_sunderland.htm. The thought that there should, according to statistics, be about 50-odd Americans called Mark Sunderland was kinda interesting.

Plan for the weekend is to start on this huge pile of stuff I've got to scan. Quite whether I'll actually be arsed I'm not sure - I'm not really in the mood to be at the moment I have to admit.

Right, well, I admitted I was watching the damn thing and I don't appear to have stopped, so here's a kinda summary of my thoughts of BB so far.

One of the things about BB is that, generally, those people that are interested in going on the show are, by nature going to be at least a little bit extrovert and possibly a little attention seeking. These things are basically a given.

And by my nature I'm the sort of person who doesn't really like those traits in other people. Especially when they're ramped up to high levels.

What I mean is that I instantly dislike people who put on a "big show" or who deliberately act OTT. This is a little difficult to really explain properly, as we all are a bit fake. We all have to 'put on faces' and pretend to be certain things at certain times.

It's like talking about other "people behind their backs", which is one of the things Big Brother always brings out, because the cameras are there all the time on everybody. The thing about it is that it's something we all profess to hate, and yet everyone does it.

Now I have a theory on why - I think it's part of being in and interacting with social groups. See, we communicate verbally, so in order for us to establish out pecking order in a group and in order to find like minded people in that group we discuss the common element - other people. It's only natural and normal.

Of the degree of bitchiness will vary wildly, the basic thing is the same.

Where was I?

Oh yeah - basically what I'm saying is that the housemates fall into two basic groups for me. There's the ones that stepped over that line of "fakeness" and there's everybody else. Now I don't think the everybody else are actually normal because of what I said above about the type of people that go into BB, but they're the ones that are near enough to what I consider normal for me to find them likeable.

But there's even a further sub-divisions within that. Anyway, here's the basic groupings:

The fakes:

Angel: She entered the house posing a lot and making hissing noises. Oh dear.

As time progressed she seemed a bit more normal, although she seems obsessed with exercise and proclaims almost on an hourly basis that people will 'get fat'. Also, when the housemates were given booze and pizza as a kind of treat thing, she instead sucked an egg and had a glass of milk.

Yes, you did read that right - sucked an egg. She punched a little hole in it and sucked out the contents. Seriously.

However, in terms of how she's been in the actual house generally she seems okay.

Siavash: To some extent I'm being a bit harsh here again. As a person I think Siavash is probably alright, but he's, well, I dunno how to put it - too obsessed with clothes, I suppose.

When he entered the house he had some natty suit on, but then while they were non-housemates they had to change into some generic clothes. Siavash kept complaining about not being able to get at his clothes and 'needing' his clothes. When he eventually got in this became apparent why - his outfits are bonkers and he's obsessed with clothes.

Now it's one thing to have a unique style, it's another to go into Big Brother with a full-on opera-mask with a ginormous 12-inch pointy nose packed in your case.

Maybe his general alright-ness will make me forget such things, but I'm guessing now that he has access to his clothes the opposite will happen.

Halfwit (Freddie): He and Sophie were required to legally change their names in order to get into the house, which is why the stupid name.

But it kinda suits him. He's a posh, rich toff type, which I've no fundamental problem with, although his toff accent is a bit extreme. No, it's the following I don't like: Says his profession is "Entrepreneur" - tool. Babbles lots of hippy-dippy shite - idiot. Sings, badly - cock. And worst of all proclaimed himself to be bisexual.

Now I've nothing wrong with bisexuality. To some extent I'm of the opinion that most people are, to a greater or lesser extent, bisexual. Whether or not the majority of people would act on any desires or feelings they had is the thing that fixes most people to hetero- or homo-sexuality, I think.

No, the problem is that people who proclaim their sexuality, especially when it's bisexuality, get on my nerves. It's always just smacked to me of "look at me, I'm so different from everyone else".

Let's put it this way - most people I think tend to view their sexuality both as their business and not a general area of discussion unless specifically asked about it. You don't go up to a group of people you've just met and just tell them you're bisexual right off do you? Surely topics like your favourite cheese are more normal.

Sree: He seems so utterly fake. He's Indian and he has the weirdest accent I've ever heard - not from the point of view of the sound of it, but how good his grasp of English is seems to come and go. It's like sometimes his sentences are all totally muddled and then suddenly he'll be throwing around big words.

I keep expecting a crime thriller-esque moment where, having confronted him about it, Sree smiles, leans back and then reveals how much of a creep his is, talking in a posh, plumy English accent.

He's weird too - on the one hand he proclaims shyness, yet if other people are talking he'll bound up and start nosing in. Also he keeps invading everyone's personal space - especially the girls, who he keeps pawing at.

And when it came to the day of evicting the first person he was clamouring around the housemates basically asking "do you like me?" and stuff. Then he goes to the diary room upset about possibly going, but it came across as really fake, playing on the sympathy vote.

Maybe it's all genuine and that's how he is, but it really comes across as someone faking it to try to win.

The normals:

Charlie: Mr Gay UK or something. He's a bit full-on for me personally - a good in small doses sort - but he seems like quite a good laugh. He has a tendency to do practical jokes though and I'm really not a fan of practical jokes.

Kris: A former male model and he is pretty handsome I'd say. I think a haircut and shave would actually work better on him, but otherwise he seems like a fairly normal chap. Albeit a normal chap who knows he's attractive to the ladies anyway.

Lisa: I think the term is 'butch lesbian' and she's definitely that. I've no real problem with her, although she seems to be the type that's into new age crap. She's mentioned energy a few times and I would guess she knows what Reiki is. Well, I know what Reiki is too, but I'd never believe it actually works. Not that I'd know if Lisa does either, but that's the feeling I get.

Marcus: Looks a bit like Wolverine (the comic book superhero, not the large weasel) with big lamb-chop sideburns. To me he seems like a decent enough chap. He's certainly not as flamboyant and OTT as some, but that's not a bad thing.

Noirin: She's Irish, but she's clearly of mixed-race parentage and to me that keeps being slightly disconcerting. I guess that's prejudice on my part isn't it? But I dunno, I don't tend to think of there being Black Irish people. I mean, with the IRA and whoever else going around blowing things up would you want to move there? And slaves weren't really used in Ireland in the way they were in the colonies or on the mainland, where they? Or maybe they were - I don't know.

Anyway, what I will say is she's very pretty (is it me or are mixed-race (what's the proper PC term? - I haven't a clue) girls all gorgeous?) and swears like a trooper and that's about it because she's really lacking for air-time - the highlights shows almost never show her, even when there's a big crowd.

Rodrigo: An early favourite to win. He's from Brazil, is really good looking in an elfish sort of way, very bouncy and up-beat and seems like a genuinely nice person so I can see why.

Cairon: Tough one. The big problem is he's only 18, but he looks a lot older. So oftentimes when I see him acting in the ways he does I'm unimpressed, but then I remember he's really only a kid so I forgive him a bit more.

The American accent is a bit odd, though. He's apparently actually from London, but lived in America growing up. What's weird though is you get odd English bits sneaking in from his time here - like he keeps saying 'innit' which is very English.

He's got an eye on Sophie and she seems to like him too, so things may get interesting there. He certainly doesn't seem to lack in confidence.

Karly: She did well in something called 'High Street Honeys' which is something FHM magazine did, apparently. She certainly pretty.

I'll tell you the most surprising thing, though - so far she doesn't seem bitchy or nasty. Indeed, there are quite a few pretty girls in the house and to be frank all of them seem like they're nice enough people. Which just goes to show you can't always trust stereotypes.

Things get a little confusing now as there are three girls with, like, variations on the same name - Sophia, Saffia and Sophie - and two of them have been having a big old barny.

Saffia: She seems very strong willed and more than a little independent. All good things in my book, although I have to admit I worry about a single mother of two very young kids who would go on BB which could last anything up to 3 or 4 months. There's independence and then there's independence. I hope there's a clutch of grandparents on hand.

Sophia: She's tiny. Apparently she has Lupus and I dunno if it's because of that but she must only be about 5 foot tall.

Sophia is the closest of those in the normal pile to being in with the fakes. Trouble is I don't think she's fake. But I do find her to be an unpleasant person.

Basically, she and Saffia are having a massive row. It's because on the first night Saffia and Sophia slept close together and talked a lot. Then Saffia had to pick 3 people to do a task to get into the house and she didn't pick Sophia.

Clearly Sophia took umbrage at this and I don't blame her for that. What I don't like is that Sophia has become utterly obsessed with it.

It's like later the other housemates played a small joke on Sophia by stealing her (un-drunk) champagne and her reaction to it did not show her in a good light. It just became such a big melodrama. Indeed, everything is a big melodrama for Sophia and I really don't like people like that.

Dogface (Sophie): Again, stupid name because of the challenge.

Basically, Sophie is probably my favourite. And yes a big part of that is that she's hawt and has huge breasts. And yes, I did Google for pics of her as soon as I got the opportunity. Sorry, that's very old-skool and unreconstructed caveman of me isn't it?

Only thing I would say is she clearly didn't need the boob job. I can see why she did it as her natural breasts are so large they did have a bit of sag to them, but such things are what make breasts and their infinite variety so appealing.

Er, sorry, got off the topic there a bit.

Basically, as well as the hawt thing, Sophie also seems like a really nice person. Slightly incongruously for a glamour model she seems a little shy. Or if not exactly shy then I think it took a while for her to settle in and be comfortable, and she's not an OTT type.

There was another housemate, Beinazir, who got booted out after only three days. I have absolutely no opinion of her because I'm not aware of her having done anything or said anything whilst in there - certainly there's nothing I remember from the highlights shows. Which is probably why nobody voted to let her in.

Wow this is a huge post - and all of it makes me feel slightly dirty.

Halfwit (Freddie) and Sophia are up for nominations. I'm guessing Sophia will be voted off, but I'd prefer to see Freddie go.

No comments: