Friday 31 July 2009

ankles and uunties

I realised something as I was driving in to work this morning: I didn't post a blog entry yesterday.

I've no real excuse for not having done one - I just kinda forgot :/.

Also as I was driving in this morning, Chris Moyles made a spoonerism slip that lead to the title of this blog. It still makes me smile.

A spoonerism, in case you're wondering, is where you switch the first letters/syllables of a phrase - so fucking hell becomes hucking fell, for example. My family has something of a long history with the spoonerism. For some reason it's one of those things we just used to do.

One of the appeals is how it can both turn words into other words (in the above example, fell is an actual word) and words into nearly words ('hucking' sounds like it should be something, but isn't).

This weekend I am going to attempt a new cooking extravaganza: bread pudding! The recipe I have is really simple. Not that bread pudding is complicated in any recipe by the sound of things, but this one seems particularly simple.

The jist of it is "Put buttered bread and home-made custard in a pan and bake for half-an-hour or so." I've never made home-made custard before, but when I found out what the basic recipe was I was intrigued to have a go. It turned out to basically be egg yolk, sugar, double cream and milk. That actually sounds easier than instant custard.

I've never had much luck with instant custard if I'm honest. It's weird in a way, because it's so simple. I mean I can make the stuff where you just put water on it (though even then usually end up with a bit of powdery stuff that I've not dissolved properly) but the more complex version with heating milk, adding the powder and sugar I always seem to make a complete arse of, so we'll see how I get on with the proper custard.

The blogs pretty rambley today, huh?

I've watched two more eps of BSG in between my marathon Anno sessions. It was really depressing. It was meant to be depressing - that's not a depression brought on by the quality of the show or the impending end of the show. It's depressing in the sense that everybody is miserable - indeed, one of the characters actually kills themselves so that's what I mean.

I'm going to try very hard to abstain from Anno this weekend. My hope is that this weekend I'll go hell-for-leather and get loads of stuff ticked off and then next weekend I'll hopefully be clear to play it solidly.

How successful I'll be I don't know.

No comments: