Monday 13 July 2009

lookit

Look, I actually updated my website - http://www.trismugistus.com/

There's a new review on there. Well, I say new. It's new in the sense that it's new to the website. It's actually a very old review - let's put it this way: the review in question covers four volumes of the manga Rosario+Vampire. I recently finished volume 7 of that manga, and they don't exactly release them every month.

Still, it's good to have an update on the site. I even did a bit of work on some more updates. Unfortunately, the appalling tediousness of processing images for the reviews meant I didn't get as far as I'd have liked. I always forget just how long it takes to do them.

The downside is that I've still nothing really to update on the walling side - indeed, I've little in the ways of genuine motivation to even feel particularly guilty about that. What it odes mean is for the foreseeable future, my updates are going to be entirely review based.

Something else I managed to do while working on the updates was listen to the new Green Day album.

I gave it a couple of listens and I have to say that so far, while I like it, it's not one of their best. The main problem I'm having is that it sounds very familiar - they seem to have pinched (or pinched and tweaked) a lot of riffs from other songs.

Saying that, I've noticed it before with Green Day and I don't fundamentally have a problem with it, because they normally add a big fat Green Day stamp to the songs too. But here, it feels more like they didn't bother so much with the big fat stamp and used a small one instead.

It's difficult to explain and as I say, I don't dislike the album, but still, it feels like it could have been more.

It also doesn't help that the production seems a bit off - it's hard to tell what the lyrics are in a lot of places, which is never normally the case with Green Day. Also, because I can't tell what he's singing half the time, it means the album doesn't quite seem to have a cohesive theme. I mean, it's presented like a concept album, but I can't really tell what the concept was - not like American Idiot or Warning anyway.

So a little disappointing on that front.

I was also disappointed that I didn't get more done over the weekend. It wasn't a particularly busy one, but I dunno, the time seemed to slip away from me a bit. For example, I didn't do anything e-bay wise.

Also, even though I watched quite a bit of recorded telly, I've still a massive list of stuff on my PVR.

Partly that's because of my obsessive BSG watching, of course, but also the BBC decided to do one of those 5-parts-in-5-days things with the 3rd season of Torchwood.

It gets on my tits when they do stuff like that. I can understand it in some ways, but for me it's a totally impractical thing - I'd need weeks of advance notice to keep up with that as a schedule thing.

Still, it's one of the big advantage of PVRs - you can record all of the stuff in great quality and watch it back when you have the time. You can of course record stuff with normal VCRs, but the quality is poorer and you'd end up with several tapes kicking about for ages, which is far less practical.

No comments: