Tuesday 7 July 2009

manga scans

I finished season 2 of BSG.

Well, that's not quite true - I've still the extras to go through, so while I've the show I've not 'finished' the DVD set yet.

I think one of the things that's impressed me the most is that the show isn't afraid to take a few risks. One of the things a lot of episodic television relies on is the return to the norm or the preservation of the status quo. In other words, our heroes don't die and our baddies never win.

But with BSG it's more complicated. I mean, just as a simple example that isn't really spoilering too much, the baddies do kinda win and they do so at the very start of the show. I mean, the first ep has the baddies wiping out 99.9% of humanity - that's not at all far off a big tick in the win column.

And there's plenty of that as the show goes along too - at the end of series 2 the status quo gets knocked so far off axis that it's a genuine shock.

Another example is that what you would classically see as being a dramatic series end type episode occurs a third of the way through season 2 and what it actually does end on is much more of a punch in the gut affair.

It's really brave is what I'm saying, and it's better for it.

Anyway, despite my growing BSG obsession, the weekend wasn't entirely a bust in terms of getting stuff done.

I managed to tick off most of the stuff on my to do list, one of the most important being that I scanned a whole load of manga covers.

I'd normally talk about the anime I watched while I scanned at this point, but scanning manga covers is always too complicated an activity to allow me to watch any anime. But what it does mean is I can finally finish off a whole load of reviews I've written for my website.

Making all the pictures for my reviews is a horribly tedious affair. I mean, scanning them is a pain to start with, but then there's the long process of resizing them and cropping them for the reviews. It's all stuff that sounds simple, but in practice ends up being both mind-numbing and very long winded.

But hopefully what I'll do is have a long session of it this next weekend and then start updating the site again.

There's unfortunately been no movement from me on making any walls, or even vectoring some scans, so I doubt I'll be having updates for anything except the reviews for a good while.

I'm not sure if this represents an effective end to my walling 'career' or not. I'm certainly very de-motivated when it comes to the whole walling thing.

But then, truth be told I've been quite de-motivated to do anything. I mean, I've hardly written anything (creatively, I mean) I've not exactly been keeping on top of updating my websites and I've been struggling to keep up with the scanning.

I can't understand where all the time goes :/.

No comments: