Monday 20 July 2009

to do lists

I'm a great maker of to do lists.

I think I've probably mentioned this before, but every weekend I put together a to do list. It has a lot of stuff that repeats on it. Indeed, there's so much repeating stuff that I have a file with all the repeating stuff listed out.

To make that weekend's actual to do list I therefore start by copying in all of that stuff and then editing, deleting and adding to it as appropriate. Some of the stuff on the list is more optional than others - I mean, going food shopping is pretty necessary, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to eat, but something like doing some scanning is less vital.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I try to do the list sensibly - I pace stuff out so that there's plenty of time. But then what I end up doing is trying to do as much on Saturday as that then leaves Sunday open as being more like a 'free day'.

This weekend was no exception. As an example, I'd put wash the car on Sunday morning, but instead gave my car a quick wash on Saturday afternoon. That meant the morning was then free for me to do what I wanted.

Initially I'd thought I would spend most of Sunday scanning. With all four of the Japanese magazines here, I didn't want to get behind again, so I thought I'd do that.

But weirdly, I had a very strong hankering to play a video game. I'm not entirely sure why - I think maybe it was to do something different. I've been intensely watching BSG as recent blog posts will attest and had done a lot of catch-up scanning, so I think I was just in the mood to do something different.

But another factor I think was that I actually ordered a new game on Friday - it's called Anno 1404 (as in Anno Domini, like 'AD' on a date, so 1404AD) and is sort of like Civilization meets SimCity. I also discovered that the Red Alert 3 expansion has been out for a few months, but it's only available as a download.

So I think also there was an element of guilt there too, that yet again I'm spending money on games without actually tackling the ones I've already bought and not played.

Which is all a bit besides the point - what did I play?

Well initially I dusted off a game called Desert Rats versus Afrika Korps. Actually, that's not true as initially I spent a good few hours applying updates to my games machine as it's been ages since I updated it. But in terms of games I tried to play Rats again.

I say again, because I've tried to play it before, without much success. This time was no different - the game is almost impossible. That is to say, it's impossible for me - I'm guessing someone who's good at games might just find it 'challenging', but for me, who's rubbish, it's impossible.

It therefore wasn't long before I'd uninstalled it and put it in the e-bay/bin box.

But I still had a hankering for some gamering, so I next installed Call of Duty: World at War.

It was good, but this blog post is already quite long and drivelly, so I'll discuss it in more depth tomorrow, I think.

No comments: