Friday 24 July 2009

drizzle, drizzle everywhere

It's been quite wet here just recently.

I think every day over the last month or so it's rained a bit. It's quite the turnaround from the heat wave we had at the beginning of summer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I broke out my aircon during the heat wave, but it's kinda annoying that I've not had any cause to use it since. Not that I'm generally a fan of hot weather - showery summers suit me fine - but I'm English, so complaining about the weather (whatever it may be) is practically a legal requirement.

I had a real good session last nigh on Anno.

I'm increasingly impressed by the game if I'm honest. The Scenario is very well put together in that it teaches you stuff at a good pace, but also the story is quite entertaining too.

It's also very clever - it throws quite a lot of stuff at you (sub-tasks), but not enough for you to feel totally overwhelmed. It's strange in a way, because even though it's real time, these sub-tasks aren't time limited (or at least, I've not encountered one that is). But you do still feel compelled to do them as quick as you can.

It also gives the game a similar feeling to the "just one more turn" thing you get in Civilization. Even though it's not turned based. These tasks make you think - I'll just finish this one task. But then when you do you get another one - it's quite clever.

Plans for the weekend are slightly complicated by the fact that both the next Formula one race in Hungary and the British MotoGP race are on. That basically rights off Sunday afternoon in its entirety. Maybe I'll do some ironing while they're on so I don't feel like I'm not achieving anything.

What I do really need to do is get this stuff on e-bay. It's getting in the way a bit now, as well as representing trapped cash.

I also need to at least start on the last series of BSG. I've been taking something of a hiatus from it this week as I really did get a bit burned out watching it so intensely. However, there is another reason for me putting it on hold - I've been trying to watch some of the telly I record live.

Now that's not because I'm feeling guilty at recording so much, it's because of the weather. That rainy weather has been joined this week by lots of wind and the combination of the two has really poxed up my digital reception.

And when digital reception goes, it really goes. Analogue you get a bit of static, but the stuff is still basically watchable. With digital it has a sort of threshold - it's fine and then suddenly becomes totally unwatchable.

This is a real disaster for me, as there's a lot of stuff I watch that's only shown on BBC3 or E4 or whatever, and I hate missing episodes.

I've even started using my old VCR again to try to make sure I don't miss a few vital things.

No comments: