Friday 27 November 2009

a million-hour work day

Yesterday was crap.

On Wednesday evening my boss had a deadline to meet. She had to print off and bind a proposal so that she could post it. It had to be there by 10AM on Thursday morning, so this meant it had to go the special delivery that guaranteed it would be there on time.

Well, that service itself has a deadline of 5PM. After that time you can't send it via that service.

And she missed the deadline. That meant that, because I was the only person who was available I had to drive all the way to Bristol in order to make it there by 10AM to hand deliver the proposal.

I've never even been to Bristol, let alone to where this parcel had to go, so my Boss leant me her Sat Nav.

That was kinda the start of the problems (well, excluding the whole thing as being a problem full stop :/). Her Sat Nav (and I guess all Sat Navs) are meant o be plugged into your cigarette lighter. Well, my car doesn't have a cigarette lighter.

Which is a little weird when you think about it, because it has a hole in the dash which presumably would normally house a cigarette lighter, but there's no actual cigarette lighter in there.

Anyway, the charge on this Sat Nav was pretty low, so that meant she had to drive home and pick up her AC charger and drop it off at my place so that I could charge it overnight.

Now as I'd mentioned, I've never been to this place, so I didn't really know how long it would take. According to Google maps it was about a 2 hour journey, but of course I'd be getting there at about 9AM which is rush hour, which isn't exactly famed for smooth traffic flow.

I therefore figured it this way - it needs to be there by 10AM, but the place probably opens at about 9AM, so I should aim to get there between 9AM and 9:30AM as that gives me some leeway in case I have to walk somewhere or get lost.

If it's 2 hours normally, then it's gotta be about 3 hours in rush hour. I therefore se off at 6:15AM, having got up at 5:30AM.

In the end, even though those numbers may seem way over-cautious, they weren't far off. I did get slightly lost twice. I also had to stop for a pee. That meant I deliver the parcel at about 9AM, so not that far out all told.

But then to be fair, the sat nav took me on a bit of an odd route. I think it was set on shortest distance, so we went on this very odd rout I just wouldn't have used. The route I would have used would have been a good 15 miles further, but it's roads I know like the back of my hand and can get good speed on, but also they don't suffer from much traffic at that time, which I know from all the times I've been to Devon.

The Sat Nav also only just lasted the journey. The battery literally conked out as I was pulling up at the final destination. Thinking about it now, it would have been better to find my own way t the M4 and then switch it on and use it from there - that would have mean tit was only on for half the time.

When I was driving down the weather was bloody awful - it actually hailed at one point! It cleared up later on, but then I had the problem of bright sunshine shining on wet roads, which is always fun.

Having set off at about 6:15AM I finally got to work at about 12:15PM - of that 6 hours, 4.5 where solid driving.

So yeah, not much fun.

But what makes it tedious and annoying is that having started at 6:15 and done 4.5 hours driving across 6 hours did I get to go home early?

Did I buggery.

That's what annoys me about my boss. I mean, this was her fucking up and me having to go way, way out of my way to fix it, and is there just a little consideration for that? Is. There. Fuck.

No comments: