Tuesday 15 December 2009

post office horror

This last weekend a bunch of e-bay auctions I had up came to an end. This means that today I have the rather un-enviable task of going to the post office. At lunch time.

I wasn't worried about it until yesterday when one of my work colleagues went to the post office. She was gone about an hour and when she returned she said they'd been queuing out of the door.

Now you could say well part of that is because it was Monday and it's always busy on a Monday. But then today is Market day in Alton, and so it's always busy on a Tuesday too.

But adding into that I believe today is one of the last posting days, and I think it's the last posting day for parcels. I may be wrong on that.

Last Christmas post is a bit of a myth actually. My dad used to work at the post office and he said that the effect it had was to get people to post early and therefore in the actual build up to Christmas there was often less post than usual, which meant there weren't many delays.

Of course, if they didn't set a day, loads of people would leave it until late and then there would be too much and it could potentially cause delays :/. So what the last day means is that that's when they stop guaranteeing delivery before Chrimbo. It doesn't mean your stuff won't make it in time, just that it's not guaranteed.

So yeah, lunch could be fun. Plus I'll have to do it all again later in the week, because some people haven't paid yet. Thankfully it's only a couple, plus if they had all paid I'm not sure I could have carried it all, to be honest, so I'd have had to make two trips anyway.

No comments: