Thursday 18 March 2010

ooh, in't it nice

This week has been veritably lovely weather.

I often tend to say about the British weather that it tends to come with exclamation points. By that I mean that when a new season rolls around the weather will change without much warning.

So up until last week we've I've been freezing my knackers off, but then suddenly this week it's been all gloriously spring sunshine and temperatures in the teens. So it wasn't any kind of gradual build up, but a sudden shift from one type of weather to another.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the weather won't flip and we'll get a sudden cold snap, but I think it's safe to say we're pretty much over the worst of the winter. And thank Jesus H Chrimble for that, to be frank.

I bit the bullet and renewed my insurance yesterday. As mentioned, I decided to protect my no claims, which cost about £41 to do, but as noted, given how my luck's been going, if I do need to make a claim I

I finished Dragonaut. The nosedive into total rubbish that I'd heard mentioned in reviews failed to materialise, although if I'm being totally honest, the end was a little bit of a mess.

The problem, though, seemed to bee very much one of ambition outstripping talent. I was actually struck by quite a few resemblances to Evangelion towards the end, but unlike that series, the writing just wasn't good enough to pull it off.

I think the main thing I'd say was it was a little heavy handed in putting across its message, and the dialogue was rather clunky as a result. Admittedly, I ended up pretty much sticking to the dub version as it was quite well done, so that may be a part of it, but still, glances at the subtitles suggested it wasn't all that different.

The other problem is they were left with a few plot holes you could easily drive truck through, but that's nothing new for anime, I'm afraid. Especially Gonzo anime.

I also finished the first volume of Gantz. I was unsure quite what to expect from Gantz. I'd heard it was rather violent and that was it. While it was pretty violent, that's not something that really concerns me, so overall I liked it and decided to order the remaining volumes.

One thing I would say is I'm not sure about the artwork. I don't think I'd classify it as 'bad' in the same way I would, say, DMC (which I think is meant to be like that, btw), but it's not the greatest. The characters don't always look consistent and some of the faces are off and stuff. It's nothing I can't live with, though.

And I also started Ouran High School Host Club last night. Too early to really give an opinion as I've literally watched 2 episode, but I enjoyed them, so it's looking good.

No comments: