Tuesday 20 April 2010

doctorb who

The b is for 'bargain'.

Here's something I haven't blogged about - there's a new Doctor Who. And not only is there a new Doctor Who, there's a new head writer in charge of the show.

At first I was a little unsure about the revamped Who. David Tennant is a pretty hard act to follow and Russell T Davies didn't exactly do a bad job with the whole writing and show running thing.

But then Steven Moffet, the new writer, is responsible for some of the best episodes of the new version of Who. He did the one with the kid in the gas mark and the angels that only move when you aren't watching them, for example.

I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, so I'll skip straight to my verdict. Overall, I like the new Who.

I have to say that the first episode was a bit of a gentle introduction. It didn't really have an epic feel or anything - we weren't instantly into a Daleks destroying the Earth story or anything. But it kinda worked, because it had a lot of new stuff to introduce, and a predominantly character driven story allowed it all to bed in.

The second one was a good one, and even managed to have a bit of a moral dilemma in it. And the third was a story by Mark Gatiss that featured the Daleks and Churchill at the height of World War 2. It also featured the Dalek's being a bit sneaky and clever, which was nice to see.

The Dalek episode also introduced new versions of the Daleks, which were bigger and a bit 'fatter'. I wasn't entirely sure about the new designs, as they had a bit of a plasticy look to them, but the episode itself was good. I especially liked that the Daleks properly escaped at the end.

Normally in the Dalek stories they get utterly destroyed, but then the next time you see them there's always "one ship/Dalek that escaped" or similar. In this one, all the new Daleks escaped intact, so it gives them lots more possibilities.

So yeah, overall I'm liking the new Who.

No comments: