Monday 26 April 2010

wherever i may roam

So I went for another walk yesterday.

The weather was a bit weird, as it kept looking like it was going to rain, so I put my coat on, but then when the sun popped out it was really warm. It was also weirdly muggy, even though there seemed to be quite a strong breeze blowing at times.

I've come up with a nice little route for my walks where I basically head off down the hill I'm on, then cut through a minor road past some fields that takes me onto the back route in past all the schools. That bit is the longest part of the walk, but it's on the flat. I then have to come up through the 'back way' that goes through the estate.

Obviously, since I came down the hill, that last bit involves climbing back up, but where downhill was fairly gentle, the uphill is very steep. The advantage of that route is that the only other way back is the long way back (which, of course, involves going uphill anyway). Therefore, it forces me to do a good stretch uphill and really get my heart pumping.

All told it's about one and a half miles. I know that for normal people 1.5 miles isn't exactly a long walk, but for me at the moment it's a huge distance. Well, actually, I could easily walk further, what I mean is that with the hill bit it's a good compromise between a long distance, which would take a long time, and good exercise.

It currently takes me about 30 minutes to do the whole walk and I normally have to stop a couple of times. I don't stop for long, but the walk up the hill is pretty steep, so I usually stop to catch my breath and on Sunday with the sun out, take my coat off and wipe my brow.

I've no real ambition regarding doing longer distances or walking it quicker. I'd like to get to a position where I can walk it twice a week - maybe Sunday and Wednesday - and also not feel quite so knackered afterwards.

Otherwise the weekend was a pretty normal one. I cleaned the flat and thought about cleaning the car. My car's been caked in dust this last week or so, which I dunno if it has anything to do with the volcano, but it could have done with a clean.

Trouble was with Sunday being the best opportunity and with it constantly looking like it was going to rain but then not actually raining, I ended up not bothering. Besides I'm on holiday next week and my landlord goes on holiday the week after, so I should get ample opportunity to give the old girl a good clean in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: