Friday 28 May 2010

telly turn-off

This summer I'm sincerely hoping that there is absolutely nothing of note on television.

That's from my perspective of course. If you're a reality TV fan, general sports fan or more specifically a fan of football or tennis then your opinion will differ drastically.

What I'm basically saying is that this year appears to be something of a planetary alignment of TV I'm not interested in:

  • - The World cup runs 11 June - 11 July
  • - Wimbledon runs 28 June - 4 July
  • - Big Brother runs June - August (I guess)

And then I'm sure there's various other reality crap on too - X-factor, strictly arse biscuits, I'm a celebrity, stove my head in with a pipe... clearly I don't actually know what's on, but the point is I'm fairly sure there's other reality crap that runs across the summer. Even if there isn't the above three will hopefully fill the schedules for a good few months.

Of course the reality is that with the BBC's extensive coverage of F1 and their reasonable coverage of MotoGP my sport quota does rise dramatically over the summer, but the main point is that the normal lull in new and original shows should be magnified this summer.

So why is this a good thing?

Because if there's nothing for me to watch/record then I will have even fewer reasons to avoid attacking my unwatched DVD pile. And this is a very good thing because the unwatched DVD pile is stupidly big and I keep avoiding it.

It's like last weekend - a big part of the reason I was able to scan stuff with reckless abandon was because I'd been really careful during the week to actually watch most of what I recorded. And there are clear signs of my recording schedule petering out - lots of shows I'm watching have only 1 or 2 weeks to go, all of which seem to coincide rather neatly with the above dates.

This next weekend is a Bank Holiday, so I'll be back on Tuesday, hopefully with even more tales of how dull and boring--er, I mean packed my weekend was with overdue box-ticking activities. And it's also Eurovision - my yearly opportunity to give my camp side an airing.

No comments: