Friday 25 June 2010

actual bona fide dvd watching

So this week it happened.

Come Tuesday night there was nothing I fancied watching on telly and the only things I had on my PVR were some huge long dramas that I just didn't have the time or energy to watch. Which could mean only one thing - I would have to watch something on DVD.

Being a little tired my energy levels suggested a film was out, so I plumped for some anime of all things. I know, how about that, eh? Actually watching some anime on DVD. It's almost like I've got dozens of series sat on DVD waiting to be watched - no, I know, what a preposterous notion.

The series I picked - and there was no real reason for it, just a random selection - was Samurai Champloo. Ages ago I read a manga version of Samurai Champloo, but it was only 2 volumes and while the character designs were pretty faithful, there was a note from the manga-ka saying it was deliberately different to the anime, although I did enjoy it.

The only other thing I knew about Champloo was that it was by Manglobe and I quite enjoyed what I'd seen of Michiko to Hatchin and this expectation was backed up by the fact I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything bad about it.

It feels like there's a giant "but..." coming, doesn't it?

Well there kinda is.

I mean, I wouldn't say I've not liked it, but it's more like it's not quite what I was expecting. What I was expecting was something a bit more madcap than what I got. I mean, I didn't think it would be a comedy, but I thought it would have more humour in it, if you see what I mean.

And the first section of the first ep sort of backed this up - it did a gag about 'one day earlier' (it's a little difficult to explain) but since then it's been more dry than I was expecting. I dunno, I think I was expecting to find it funny, but have barely cracked a smile. Later episodes have been better in this regard, but I dunno, the start was a bit flat.

And that doesn't mean there hasn't been plenty to enjoy - the characters are nice (although they feel a little under-developed at this stage - who Jin and Mugen actually are has not been explained at all) and the episodic stories around a longer story arc seems to be working quite well. The animation is very stylistic and the whole thing feels alive with creativity (even if the music is arsebiscuits), it's just not as funny as I was expecting, and since that's all I was expecting I've felt a little disappointed.

No comments: