Monday 21 June 2010

sort it out

So I spent a good chunk of my weekend engaged in yet more sorting out and I can thankfully report that I have finished... sort of.

The entire bottom left corner of my room is now given over to boxes. To give you some idea of how much stuff we're talking out, combined with what's in the attic at the moment there are a total of 15 of the 50litre boxes and 30 of the 30 litre ones.

Now to be fair, quite a fee of the 50 litre ones are full of stuff that they shouldn't be. Basically, there are all the things I should have scanned and there's all the stuff I need to get onto e-bay. There's even a box with things like a keyboard and mouse in for when I set up my TV PC (my new TV is sort of also like a monitor and so I can connect up one of my old machines - I've been meaning to do this for ages and should allow me to watch stuff like fan subs in a more comfortable way).

Anyway, those are only the boxes that are full. While I was sorting out, I got some spare boxes, so that things like the DVDs on my bookshelf can be easily stuck in boxes and put in the attic for when my landlord wants to decorate. The problem with that is I only considered things like my DVDs and forgot about other stuff like my clothes. I'm guessing I may therefore need to buy even more boxes to put those in when the time comes.

One thing this whole exercise has brought home to me is just how much stuff I still own. When I moved out of my family home I remember there being a lot of stuff, and what's slightly dispiriting about all this is realising that I've still got loads of that stuff.

The point being that it's essentially of no use to me and I doubt very much it will sell on e-bay. So why have I been lugging it around in boxes and tripping over it all these years?

Two reasons - firstly is my hoarder mentality, where I struggle to throw things away, but second, the other thing this whole sorting exercise has brought home to me is just how much physical effort is involved. This shit is heavy and it's tiring moving boxes around, especially in my tiny bed-sit where emptying one box becomes this logistical nightmare of having to fill others or take stuff back-and-forth from the kitchen.

Which is why the 'fun' really starts now - I seriously need to get rid of all this crap. Whether it be in the bin, down the tip or on e-bay.

No comments: