Thursday 23 September 2010

system building pt2

God, I'd completely forgotten what a pain it is to re-install a system.

Specifically I'm talking about re-installing XP on my old machine. My original plan (can't remember if I discussed it) was to use this machine as a file server and to watch TV on, but that hit a bit of a snag. Well, there have been a few snags, actually.

I mentioned before about how I had to change my plans for cases. My new case, which is all clever and stuff ended up with my old machine bits in because the GFX for my new rig was too big to fit. Well, something I also thought about doing was dusting off my old acrylic case and using that for my file-server machine.

However, couple of problems. First off, it turns out this old case id damaged, but also it's old so it's using 8cm fans. New cases tend to use 12cm fans, which are bigger, so they can shift he same amount of air but run slower and therefore are quieter. So the problem is acrylic case is broken and also very old. Also, it's got loads of blue lights in it.

I had forgotten Id' originally built this machine with the idea of using it as a sort of "show off" modding case, so when I had transferred all the gubbins (which took hours) and fired it up I was blinded by all the fan-lights and stuff. So the upshot is I need yet another case.

Especially since my plan of using this as a file server can't be implemented. Basically, I bought two new copies of windows 7 - one 32bit and one 64bit. The 32bit was for my old rig and the 64 for my new rig. But what I didn't know was that a 32bit system can only support about 3.5gb of RAM in total (i.e. including the video RMA). But what I also didn't know was that all core2 duo processors are 64bit compatible.

So essentially I've bought a useless version of windows 7. Except, I though, maybe I could run it on my old normal machine and by another 64bit copy. But this time before simply leaping into it, I tried testing out my hardware and software with windows 7.

Generally speaking I was hugely impressed. I was rather afraid that windows 7 would have horrible compatibility problems, but in reality it run nearly everything - even my old copy of Office 2000 and Photoshop 7! But the important bit is the 'nearly', because there is no driver for my A3 scanner.

And my A3 scanner is critical to the whole deal, which meant another change of plan. So, I installed the 32bit Windows 7 on my old games rig and will be using that as the file and print server and TV machine. Which really is a bit of a waste, but I have to keep using my old normal machine so that I can still use my scanner.

But I've decided to upgrade it to Windows XP. see, the old machine used Windows 2000, but my copy of XP of course is now not needed for my games machine, so I'm installing it from fresh. And it's taking ages.

See, the machine of course is slow compared o the newer ones, but also, Windows XP isn't the quickest installing thing anyway. I'd been thorough impressed by how quick it was to set Windows 7 up, but SP has taken me days.

I guess a part of that, though, is that windows 7 is relatively new, so it doesn't have as many patches. XP, being old, has literally hundreds of patches to download. But also, a lot of them take a long time to install compared to the windows 7 ones.

But also, the update process for Windows 7 seems much more comprehensive. I mean, it had lots of hardware patches and stuff where XP's doesn't. A great example of this is the printer - for XP I had to go on a mission to find a driver, but with Windows 7, the driver was there for download from the windows update site, which it found and installed automatically, so it was a piece of piss.

But yeah, it's never easy tweaking and upgrading, and now I've the added expense of buying another new case. And I should really get a better PSU too...

No comments: