Monday 20 September 2010

an end in sight?

In theory, today is going to be the last day my landlord need to get into my flat to do decorating.

Well, no, that's not true - today is the last day before I go on holiday and he does the final phase. The final phase, as I understand it (though stuff seems to change constantly) will be to paint the newly installed wallpaper, wash the carpet and wash the curtains.

He had planned to paint the ceiling, but instead he's washed that. Also, there was mention of touching up wallpaper that's above the dado rail (the new stuff is going in below the rail) and repainting the skirting and window ledges (the gloss paint bits, as opposed to the emulsion on the wallpaper). However, I haven't a clue whether he's still going to be doing those.

As mentioned, everything seems to change every time I ask him about it. Originally, he wasn't going to do the new wallpapering until I was gone, for example, but that's what he's supposed to be doing today. What he's been doing was stripping the wallpaper in preparation for this and that was done in bits over a few days.

The entire wallpapering he reckons he can do in one day, because his mate is going to help him. That seems like a very generous mate to me, and I'm basically expecting to go back tonight and find it half done. I think they're being over-ambitious.

What does strike me mainly though is firstly why are they painting the wallpaper? This seems daft to me, but I must confess I know almost nothing about decorating.

But I'm also struck that, if a mate was available and my landlord's wife chipped in they didn't need to do all this pre-emptive bollocks (and make my life horrible) at all. I mean, when I'm gone they can move the furniture for easy access and then you're talking 1 day for stripping and cleaning, 2 days for wallpapering, (or 1 is help available) 1 day for painting (if that - if you don't bother with the gloss stuff, which is fine, then it seems more like half a day to me) and then maybe 2 days for carpet cleaning (do half of it, let it dry, move furniture, do rest, let it dry).

So that's 6 days effort if you're doing it on your own, probably only 4 if you can get someone to help. I'm going to be away for 7 days, so it all fits in.

And even if you do the stripping and cleaning beforehand to give yourself a bigger comfort margin, then you could do that in the last week before I go. I mean, they won't get access to my room until the 2nd of October, so that means I've now got a further two weeks of completely disrupted living because he's done this crap so early.

Which is, I might add, on top of the last week of the same disruption and a good couple of weeks before that pissing about with the boxes, shed and e-bay.

It all just smacks of rubbish organisation. Especially when you consider my landlord is retired, so has loads of free time on his hands.

No comments: