Tuesday 23 November 2010

no, I've definitely lost it

I appear to have lost a volume of manga.

The manga in question is called Bakuman. It's a manga about being a manga artist, but that's not really relevant. What's relevant is that I remember it arriving from Amazon. And I remember opening the parcel, flicking through the pages.

I then don't remember what I did with it.

My flat is actually quite small and I've had a really good search around and can't find it. I've even done what I think of as the classic of going back to the same place (in particular, the shelf on which I keep my unread books and manga) and rechecking it "just in case". Just in case what, I wonder? In case I was suffering temporary blindness, maybe? Or in case I was suffering a mental black spot?

I've a horrible feeling that what I've done is put it in the recycling. I keep a big box that I chuck things for recycling in. I then sort this box out every couple of weeks when they come to pick up the recycling and put it in the appropriate bin outside.

However, where I am the collection service is shit, and they're really pissy about what they collect. In particular, paper but not cardboard is the one that really erks me. Especially since when you go down the local community recycling place they've got a single big storage thing that you can out all paper and cardboard in.

So a while back I started saving cardboard up in my big box too and then taking it down there myself. This isn't too much hassle as it's easy to drop off on the way to get my food shop every Saturday. And I don't do it every week - maybe once or twice a month, depending on how much stuff I've got.

The point is that I think I may have put the manga in that box. This isn't as retarded as it sounds, because Amazon sends its stuff in cardboard packaging, so that has to go in the recycling box and I keep that box in my kitchen and usually when I get in I take my mail into the kitchen with me and sort it there - the bits of it I want and need, keep, the rest of it in the recycling box.

Only I've a feeling I got a lot of stuff and maybe rested the manga on the top of the box stuff just to put it somewhere out of the way and then forgot to pick it up again and it got covered with stuff.

The trouble with this theory is it means that when I've then sorted through everything in there to put it in the right bins for collection, or to take it down the recycling centre, I've completely ignored the fact that it's a book of manga and just chucked it away. Even for me that's amazingly dumb.

This post was meant to quickly turn into a quick manga review one, but I've prattled on so much, I'll have to save that for another day. I've read a few new things and dropped some things I was collecting. Plus I started on all the FMA volumes I had saved up, so I've plenty to talk about, just not the desire to keep going at the moment.

No comments: