Thursday 11 November 2010

perhaps it did change?

This last weekend's weigh in revealed something interesting.

The something in question was that I had apparently lost another 5 pounds. To me, this sounded slightly odd, because I'd had a slight issue with chocolates.

The issue stems from the fact that my landlord had been on holiday and I'd been house sitting for him. He seems to go on holiday at least 4 times a year, but anyway, when he does, he asks me to look out for the place and at the same time I can pick up my mail.

When he returns, he usually shows his appreciation by buying me a box of chocolates. The me of old would proceed to eat these chocolates on my own. To be fair to the old me he wouldn't scoff them all at once and he'd try to adjust his other eating to compensate a bit, but it wouldn't be that serious an attempt and so he'd get a whole boat load of extra calories to deal with.

The new me decided that the best thing to do was to take the chocolates in to work. That way I could have a few, but avoid eating too many. Only the new me was also a bit stunned by the size of the box my landlord had bought (it was a double layer Thornton's selection box!) and so the new me had quite a few chocolates, as it was almost impossible to avoid them.

Otherwise, the week was fairly normal diet and exercise wise, so I was expecting to loose a few pounds, but not to the extent of loosing 5 pounds.

This actually leads me to suspect that last weeks weigh in was something of a false result. Looking back I didn't really weigh myself under the same circumstances as I have done every other week. And as I've said before, consistency is the real key to monitoring something like this.

I therefore think that last week I actually lost perhaps one or two pounds, but because of the inconsistency of measurement it was 'hidden'. This week I therefore probably saw those one or two pounds plus the extra 3 or 4 pounds I'd genuinely lost this week.

I have to confess this makes much more sense to me. Despite how harsh I was on myself last week I was a little puzzled that I hadn't lost anything at all. I mean, when I tried to guesstimate the calories, I was struggling to see how what I'd eaten would have genuinely cancelled out the rest of the week's diet, even though that diet was slightly higher than normal.

One of the weird advantages of being so heavy is it's actually easy to loose weight. When I start getting closer to simply being fat, I'm pretty sure the scale of weight loss will reduce and I'll have to be doing more exercise. Hopefully, though, I won't be hitting that sort of problem until we get back into the warmer months, when exercising (walking) will be much easier and enjoyable.

No comments: