Monday 6 December 2010

brrr

So at the tail end of last week, we finally copped some of the snow that has been causing chaos across the rest of the UK.

I'm pretty sure the council didn't do any gritting at all. There was certainly no signs of the classic evidence of gritting. I shouldn't be surprised by that as I don't think they ever spend the money. They're shit the council.

Thursday had a classic snow day moment, where, having heard the forecasts and seen no snow before I went to bed I woke up to find a veritable winter wonderland outside. It wasn't as bad as we got it last year, but it still stopped me getting out. Where I live is down an un-adopted road, which basically means it gets no through traffic, only residents, and many of the residents happen to be retired, so they don't tend to go out much anyway.

Luckily I can actually work from home, although the system for doing this is pretty clunky, it gets the job done. Especially since it means I can simply e-mail stuff back to myself at home from work.

Not that I had a lot on - the timing was such that I was essentially finishing one thing and then would be asking my boss for something new to work on, except I couldn't really do that.

What I mainly did instead was play about with my new scanner-photoshop combo. I'll talk about that in a later, mainly as I'm still undecided how it's all going to work, but it certainly killed the day.

Well, except for discovering I'd made a gigantic cock-up. It's not really worth going into the details, but let's just say that a document I produced was supposed to be limited to 20 pages long, but was more than double that. And it needed to go by the end of the day, and was being reviewed, so there was no chance for me to fix it.

Except there was. If my boss had called me back, I could have sorted it out, especially since, due to the weather, they said you could send an electronic submission up until the Friday deadline.

On Friday I woke up incredibly early, mainly I think, because this was playing on my mind. I therefore decided to see if I could make a 20 page version, and spent ages tweaking it to get it inside the limit. This I eventually did and was quite pleased with myself.

Only problem was my boss had already sent the previous version, so I had to phone them up, blame the problems on the weather and ask if I could submit a version 2. They seemed happy with this, so I decided to try to make it to work and sort things out from there.

There'd been no extra snow and what snow there was seemed to have compacted due to freezing overnight. Also, the traffic that had been on the roads had probably helped to clear them up. I set off quite late - after 9 - having dug my car out and eventually arrived at about 10.

Only to discover I'd made a monumental cock-up - I'd not attached the 2nd version of the document to my e-mail back and so now I had t basically go back home after only a couple of hours, meaning the whole trip was a complete waste of time!

Still, I used the opportunity to do a bit of food shopping as a just in case exercise. The forecasters had said it would warm up a little over the weekend, clearing the snow, but I thought it best not to risk it and do it while I was out.

In the end it did warm and has cleared enough for normality to return, but better safe than sorry.

No comments: