Thursday 13 January 2011

too busy

Again, just too busy to post yesterday.

Thought today I should make an effort and at least do my weekly weigh-in post.

Basically, I was rather stunned to discover I'd apparently lost 7 pounds. Having apparently gained 8 weeks over the Chrimbo fortnight, this means the net weight change since my last vaguely 'on course' diet week was a gain of 1 pound.

Now if I'd gone bonkers last week and done loads of walking and eaten nothing, I'd have sort of understood this apparent drop back. However, I didn't do those things, so I was rather stunned.

My theory as to what was going on is a little crude as it essentially revolves around bowel movements. You may want to skip ahead to the end.

The theory was that a big part of the gain was actually due to, shall we say "unprocessed", food in my bowels. Or, to put it more bluntly, having eaten a lot it was taking a while for all the waste to make its way through my system.

I know that may sound a bit odd, but I've always suffered from rather 'slow' bowels and am prone to constipation at the best of times. So going from a long term diet which involved pretty decent levels of fibre to a couple of weeks of eating a lot of not very good stuff it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I was afflicted with slow bowels.

Also, to get to the point again, I had really noticed a decline in the frequency and size of my bowel movements while on the diet (if you eat little, you're hardly going to do a lot of pooing) and then last week I was shitting for England. I was actually worried that I'd run out of toilet paper before I got a chance to go to the shops at one point.

So yeah, slightly bizarrely, my theory is that I had somehow managed to store, like, 5 or 6 pounds of poo. I know - doesn't sound very likely does it, but all I can say is that I've no other explanation of such a big increase and sudden decrease.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if I have another gain this week. I am now pretty much back on the diet proper, but at the beginning of the week there were still quite a few bad things left to eat. Actually, past tense is wrong there - there is still plenty more left, but everything else is suited to long-term storage (that is, they're frozen or tinned, or dried packets, etc) so I can consume them in a trickle and compensate for the calories a lot easier.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Maybe the busy stress burned more calories than usual?