Wednesday 20 April 2011

like a bloody see-saw

Well, as seems to have become the "pattern" recently, I can't quite figure out why this week's weigh in revealed what it did.

That revelation was that I'd apparently lost 1 pound, despite having eaten lots of very naughty stuff at the birthday celebrations on Saturday. That was also adding on to the fact that on that Saturday my pedometer registered fewer than 1,000 steps.

Usually at the weekend I try to go for a short walk in the morning of around 3,500 steps and then a longer walk in the afternoon that take the total squarely over 10,000 steps. So doing less than a tenth of that meant I was not burning many of the additional calories, or helping to maintain a high metabolism or any of that other useful stuff exercise does.

I did go for a particularly long walk on Sunday afternoon to try to compensate a bit, although that was obviously after I'd done my weigh in in the morning. Also, because I obviously got back very late I actually had a lie in on Sunday morning, rather than go for a walk, so the net number of steps wasn't really increased.

Anyway, obviously a loss is always good, so I'm not complaining, but in terms of my target of 19 stone by my birthday I'm quite a way off. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I'm 11 pounds away, which is unfeasible and would probably be a little dangerous to loose that much that quickly.

Luckily, I've obviously got lots of days off coming up, so I can do lots more walking and a brief blip for the actual day of my birthday aside, I should be much better placed to control my food intake.

Unfortunately, my proper holiday is after my birthday, so the real opportunity for doing some serious walking and dieting is technically after my target date, but I don't think it would be too bad if I got reasonably close to 19 stone for the weekend after my birthday.

I am definitely going to have to buy some new walking shoes, though. My current pair, which aren't very old at all, are already starting to fall apart. To be fair they were quite a cheap pair and I have gotten a lot of use out of them, but still, it would have been nice if they could have lasted longer. I should also probably get some new walking socks too - my current pairs have all got holes in.

I'm going to have a couple of sessions to get stuff for the Grand Prix later in the year, so I'll just add these to the list.

No comments: