Monday 18 April 2011

two hours my arse

So, as mentioned on Friday, something a little different this last weekend, in that I went to see a friend whose birthday it was on Saturday.

The day's festivities started with me baking some chocolate cupcakes. These turned out okay - I was a little worried I'd make a mess of them as, with the diet and all, I've not done any baking in well over a year. The chocolate butter cream icing was the thing turned out to be the most difficult - I had to look up the recipe as Id' completely forgotten and when it came time to pipe it I had a bugger of a time remembering how to do a piping bag.

While I was baking I also watched the qualifying for the Chinese GP, which I'll talk about more tomorrow, but it meant I didn't set off until about 11. Google maps had the journey time down as two hours, but I dunno how they work that out.

The M1 was closed (and it still partly closed) due to a fire, so traffic was heavy in places, but also the widening work on the M25 which seems to have been going on for years was still poxing things up. But then even on the way back when there was no traffic it took be more than 2 and a half hours, so I dunno how they work it out, but it's clearly not realistic.

Anyway, the day itself mainly involved watching movies. Specifically we watched the Poseidon adventure (the 70s one), Hackers and a film called Lady in White.

I've seen the first two of these, but clearly not as many times as everyone else. It reminded me actually of when I was a student and how obsessed we all were with the Python films - many of us could quote the entire script, but I wasn't that familiar with these films.

I remember the Poseidon adventure as mainly being about the capsizing of the boat and the escape. That was obviously the main part of the film, but I was surprised by how much before it there was and how random it all seemed.

I mean, I think the idea was it was supposed to be a cruise ship, but most of the passengers seemed to be using it almost like a ferry - going to specific destinations. All of which were in the med, but almost everyone was an American. But on top of that there was apparently this 'company man' (boo, evil corporations) who was ordering the captain around (famously, Leslie Nielson before he moved into comedy) because they wanted to break the ship up and it was running late.

So it's taking all the passengers, yet it's on its way to the breakers. Weird. weirder still was the captain's obsession with ballast. It reminded me actually of the towering inferno, where the "company men" are responsible for cutting corners, which causes the fire in the sky scraper. There it makes sense as the cause, but here the 'company man' and the ballast thing seem irrelevant in the face of a giant wave hitting the ship.

I'm pretty sure I've ranted on here before about the sins Hackers commits in terms of its depiction of what computers can and can't do, though not specifically in regards to that film.

The last film, Lady in White, was a very strange beast. It was a really weird hybrid of a movie, being part ghost story and part murder mystery, but it also had some really odd stuff in it. A good example of this is that at one point the main character is strangled, but his near death experience seemed to involve him flying towards the sun, which seemed very random. There was also this weird thread to it about racism, with a "well the black guy clearly did it" attitude from the police that seemed like quite an afterthought.

The thing I found most odd about it was the tone. When I was a kid they sometimes used to show films on Friday afternoon in the kids TV slot. These were films squarely aimed at children and also had a strong "made for TV" feel. Well, this seemed very much like one of those films, but equally there was stuff in it that didn't really seem kid friendly - I mean, it was essentially about paedophile / child murderer :/.

Anyway, I had fun. The food was particularly good, with a home made pizza and delicious brownie cake.

No comments: