Friday 20 May 2011

up and down like the assyrian empire

So my weight went back down again this last weekend.

It wasn't quite enough to cancel out the gain I had, but any loss is good. I also think I had a bit of switch in mental attitude - having posted the numbers of what I'd lost and gotten used to what I now way, it doesn't feel as bad/poor as it did. I've also realised that I'm not that far from getting down into the sorts of weights where normal clothes will begin to fit me.

And speaking of clothes, I'm really desperate for some new stuff. I've been holding off because the idea of buying stuff and then having to buy the same stuff only a bit smaller in six months time and then buying it yet again six months after that is truly unappealing (and expensive sounding).

But it was my clothes that I think gave the game away at work.

My boss (who is that sort of person) asked me directly if I was loosing weight, so I had to fess up. I could hardly say no :/. And as he said, my clothes are "hanging" off me. He's also the sort of person that then went and told everybody.

I found the whole thing a little embarrassing. Not spectacularly so, but I'm never hugely comfortable about talking about that sort of personal stuff. I mean, there's some personal stuff I'm fine with discussing, but there's other stuff that I just don't like to talk about. And that extends outwards too - I'm not comfortable talking about those areas in other people's lives, even if they are.

I guess that makes me rather unusual - gossip and prurience is what keeps half the internet and all of the tabloid papers going.

This week I've been trying to increase my step count. I've been doing two laps around the industrial estate in the morning and then a slightly longer walk at lunch time. This has been successful, but if I want to take it any further it's clear I'll need to walk in the evenings, which may be difficult.

I actually didn't go for a walk last Sunday at all. This was because I'd washed the car on Saturday on top of walking, so I figured I'd done the exercise, but also, washing the car always involves lots of bending over which always leaves me with badly aching legs for a couple of days afterwards, because I've overstretched the ligaments.

I'm still breaking in my new walking shoes anyway, which will take a while, but hopefully they'll last me as long as the last pair I had like this.

1 comment:

Amy said...

The classic is "up and down like a whore's drawers". But I'm sure you knew that.

People were sort of bound to notice. :/ I personally think any body comments are off limits. No one should comment on how thin or heavy, how hairy or not, how spotty, how messy, etc. Nobody's business.

Only comments I'll allow are things like, 'you look nice today' or 'I love that shirt, where did you get it?'.

Like you, I think it is a private thing and you don't know everyone's stories. My sister lost a lot of weight because she is incredibly ill and people tell her she looks amazing. That's messed up thinking she's fine because she looks good. Bah.

Sorry, tangent!